Notices

14 days, but...

Old 09-22-2011, 04:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

14 days, but...

Hope everyone is doing well. I haven't commented for a while, but have been reading daily.
Today is day 14 for me, and i feel great. I couple moments of weakness, but nothing i couldn't squelch pretty quickly. Staying busy, for me, is my best friend. If my mind is preoccupied, then i don't even consider drinking.
So, so far, so good.
My wife has been very happy and supportive of my efforts. But, I had I minor setback, more to my ego than anything else, but...
My wife saw a friend of hers in the local park last night who commented that he saw me two weeks ago, my last night of drinking. He told my wife that i was pretty drunk, and couldn't carry on much of a conversation.
I understand that it happened in the past, and that i have turned over a new leaf, but it definitely deflated my balloon.
I know that I can probably expect more "stories" of my past to haunt me in the future, but it definitely stinks, especially when hearing about it with a sober mind.

thanks for listening.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Sprizzy, I can relate to what you are saying. The best part is- You NEVER have to hear new stories or feel that way again Congrats on 14 days!!
Old 09-22-2011, 05:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

It's an eye-opener to realize we were only deceiving ourselves when we were drinking!

Congratulations on 2 weeks!
Old 09-22-2011, 05:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Gosh, after all those years of drinking to oblivion, it would be a miracle if people spoke of me with kind words at all, lol. I shudder to think what people say about me, but there just isn't much I can do about it, and I probably deserve every word of it, lol. I just wasn't nice, but then again what man, drunk off his butt, really is?

Today, I may not be that nice either, but at least I'm up posting on SR and not waiting for the bar to open at 6am. And I'm drinking coffee, which helps me get busy making up for all that lost time in the bottle, so to speak.

So keep up the good work, keep yourself occupied with recovery today, and tonight, someone may just say something really good about you. Now that's a day worth living in my book.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know that it's hard to be hit by something that happened in the past, but I think it actually helps the recovery process. Of course, you can't do anything to change what happened, but you do have the option to stay sober today and to live the life that you want.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just stay sober. Do that long enough and people will start seeing you as the sober stable guy, not the incomprehensible drunk. What's the worst that happens?
Old 09-22-2011, 09:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

many thanks. i'm definitely the kind of guy that beats himself up about everything, great and small.
the people i really care about don't talk ill of me, at least to my face, not that this guy was either. though i think it's embarrassing for her to hear, my wife understands that my past will sometimes emerge in the present and future.
i guess this past indiscretion is no worse, or anywhere as bad, for that matter, than any of the many before them. i have been pretty lucky, resilient, whatever you like to call it with my long history of drinking. i probably had my worse moment almost 10 years ago, though it really didn't slow me down much at all. 6 mos of court ordered sobriety, which i did with no problem at all. and, to tell the truth, this time around doesn't feel that bad either. but, i'm only accountable to myself this time.
i really appreciate the opportunity to air my thoughts out on this board. it is certainly a positive thing for me, and i hope for others.

everyone keep your chin up. chances are you'll take a couple of right hooks, but you can still win the fight if you get back up. and, it may ultimately come down to a judge's decision. hope we all have made good with our judges.

make today a productive day.