Notices

OT - Feels like I'm making a little progress

Old 09-22-2011, 03:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT - Feels like I'm making a little progress

I previously posted that I bought a log cabin. It needs total renovation. Well making a little bit of progress on that. Finally picked out the kitchen cabinets that I want. They're a natural hickory, so the rustic feeling will still be there. That I think was the easy part. Now to pick out the countertop, backsplash, and floor tiles, that's going to be the hard part.

The interior of the house is very dark. The whole thing is wide plank board, wall, ceilings, it's everywhere. That's the thing that I fell in love with, but after being here for 5 months, I know I need to brighten it up a bit. So I'm starting with the kitchen.

It's the one room that I will drastically change. I hate to get to get rid of the plank board, but I will be putting sheetrock in there, along with new cabinets, etc... I will leave the beamed ceiling.

Will also have to replace entire sub floor, it can't be saved, and then installing carpet in the dinning room, living room and 2 bedrooms, hopefully before winter comes, this will look like a house, instead of a barn.

I will have to do without a kitchen for about a month, but that's ok. I haven't really cooked for myself in a long time, and I don't have a problem with paper plates, paper cups, and plastic forks.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

How's sobriety treating you? How are you getting support in person?
Old 09-22-2011, 05:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Hi Amy...sounds like you've got quite a project going. Good for you! I also like the process of renovation. Rehabbing a house has a lot of similarities of rehabbing our lives when we chose to live sober.

I am a visual thinker, and you've painted a vivid picture. One thought, though. Are you tearing out the wide board on the kitchen walls? If so, I'd recommend leaving them, putting nailers over them on 16 inch centers, and then putting the sheetrock on top of that. Two reasons: structural integrity in an older home, and that some buyer in the future may want to go back to the original look. Another option is to paint the boards a brighter color.

I envy you for your project! I finished my last major build out last winter, and have been enjoying it since.

Hope you have a pro or at least pro advice on the kitchen floor; that's a tough job.

Hang in there! There's nothing like a renovation as a great distraction when you are newly sober!
Old 09-22-2011, 01:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Lofty,

Actually in the beginning I blamed this house for me drinking so much. haha. I guess houses can even talk now.

But I am leaving the wood planks where they are, if I need to remove any, it would be to put up stone work, and then reuse the wood planks in the bsmt.

You also hit on another thing that I may do, when I get into the bathroom to renovate, I may paint the boards. This will hurt me, as I love wood. But it's just too dark, definitely leaving the living room and dinning room walls alone, except for the one by the back door, may put rock veneers there. I'll leave the bedrooms alone, until I see if the lighter carpet brightens it up a bit.

I guess I bought this house, because I loved it. I knew it needed TLC, and so did I. I'm hoping that we heal together. This was just the thing that I needed to get back on with my life. Got in touch with my contractor, and it looks like demolition, renovation starts next week.

I'm so looking forward to getting the patio furniture out of my house and real furniture in it, soooooo looking forward to watching a TV instead of movies on my computer. Also, soooooo looking forward to actually moving into my house, instead of keeping things in the bsmt because I know now that everything I move up, will have to go down, once this work starts.