Notices

sponser and meds issues

Old 09-23-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JJK View Post
EVEN IF aa was a fix all for depression and anxiety.. dont you think for a newcomer, coming in with some of the above, it might be a good idea to start off on something like paxil? thats non-narcotic?? i mean.. if the person sincerely needs it? nobobides ever gotten high off of PAXIL!
To be obsessive, a wide variety of pharmaceutical and drugs can cause serotonin syndrome, one of the signs of which is hypomania. So, technically (and I do love technicalities), one could get high off SSRI's such as paroxitine (Paxil) or sertraline (Zoloft), if one took enough of it.

Also, changing the mode of administration and/or the route of administration can cause one to get high off of a substance that, properly administered, would not do so.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=ACT10Npack;3112877]I had to change it a little bit to get the official statement on it but the die hard AA members are against all type of drugs which I believe cairns87 sponsor is part of that group.

The assertion that "hard-core" AA members are against "All type of drugs" is a rather broad and inaccurate statement. I got sober 28 years ago, and this was the prevailing thought as we chain-smoked and IV'd coffee at meetings.

Due to the increase of mental health diagnoses, and the prescribed drugs, I no longer find the bias in meetings at all.

Your sponsor is potentially setting you up for a relapse, and a physically and psychologically dangerous reaction if you follow his advice. If you like him, and he works for you ON PROGRAM STUFF, tell him firmly that your medications are NONE of his business. Period. If he brings it up again, fire him on the spot.

Your doctor knows best, just as you do in your heart. If he says go back on them, obey him. And, DO NOT QUIT AA - AA is not the problem - your sponsor is. Please, keep coming back.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
JJK

no youre right.. its not as huge as everyones making it.. but its still a big problem, imo.. my "sponsor" dislikes me taking even paxil.. but hed never offer me any medical advice.. everyone anti-aa here blows things that are part of aa out of porportion.. but thats only because these things are there.. even if its just subtly.. than theres the whole group think thing that comes into play.. and over time.. well, you know..
Old 09-23-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
JJK

sure, mickey.. you can even get high off of household appliances you may use.. or drunk of mouthwash.. none of those, including taking a bunch of zoloft, sound all that appealing to me.. if i wanted to catch a buzz that bad.. id just hit the store..
Old 09-23-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Wow this has been very helpful.. I will use my sponser purely for my recovery. No medical advice.! I have always taken my med at the precribed dose.

Sadly in New Zealand we cannot sue people. So that is not an option.

Thanks for all the support.!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you've resolved that Cairns.

I think we've thrashed out this issue enough...this time around anyway - we'll leave it there

D