Notices

Sobriety and Weight

Old 09-21-2011, 12:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Gentle Soul

Sobriety and Weight

Did anyone else become sober and feel very disappointed that after some time had passed they hadn't lost any weight? I was consuming about 800 empty calories a day. I have been sober for a month and my weight is still the same. Does it take longer?
Old 09-21-2011, 01:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure how long you've been sober, but it's probably a good idea to be patient with your body's recovery.

I actually needed to gain weight when I stopped drinking, which made me look and feel much more healthy.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Do you eat right and exercise?
Old 09-21-2011, 02:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I didn't lose any weight for the first month but then seen a slight drop in the 2nd month and then a weird drop of 4-5lbs towards the end of the last month.

Be patient, keep eating semi-right and you'll see the results
Old 09-21-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Rane, I was amazed I didn't drop alot of weight right away. All the beer must've accounted for loads of calories. I still haven't lost much (look alot less bloated, though).

I think for me - I wasn't eating much when I drank. Could go almost all day without food - so I think I replaced the alcohol calories with food calories when I finally found a healthy appetite again.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You will only lose weight when the body is exerting more energy (calories) than it is consuming. You can't just stop drinking and assume you will lose weight, though everything else equal, dropping 800 calories a day will only help your cause. If you're not losing weight, make adjustments to your diet and/or exercise more.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

there are 3500 calories in a pound of weight .
so if you burn 3600/you will gradually loose weight/plus you will feel an awful lot better with exercise
Old 09-21-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
HFA

I didn't loose any weight either. Finally lost 25lbs but only from busting my butt in the gym
Old 09-21-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Weight loss takes time but if your 20 over weight then you can losing about 1 pound of fat a week if you consume 500 calories less a day. Just because your not doing those 800 calories of alcohol does not mean you will lose weight. You maybe eating more because you stop eating.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Your body adjust it's metabolism, to some degree, according to the calories you consume (or burn). That is why some low calorie diets work at first and then stop and dieters stay stuck in weight loss plateaus. You might be in a similar state. Best way to get out of a plateau is to "trick" your body by changing your routine. Increase activity, change your nutrition or both.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've lost 5 lbs in 60 days. To boot, I do yoga everysingle day!!! Yes, a little disappointing. Oh shoot, I should mention that I eat ice cream everyday after yoga...
Old 09-21-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I find that when I abstain from alcohol I immediately lose weight. But when I drink, I consume a lot more than 800 calories, and when I am sober, I'm usually replacing drinking with the gym so it is pretty extreme one way or the other.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

personally, i kicked up the water and added protein drinks and have lost about 6 lbs in about 4.5 weeks. I am eating way less than i was before, ya know? the hangover diet is the worst!!!!
Old 09-21-2011, 09:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Gentle Soul

Thanks for those very helpful replies. I have been sober for 30 days and previously was drinking 4 cans of beer a night. I have made some changes to my diet as well-added more fibre and fruit, a vitamin B drink daily and am trying not to eat sweets or crisps. I forgot to mention my age-48-this probably has a lot to do with things. I guess it's childish but we expect out 'reward' for doing the right thing. For me the reward would be losing weight. I guess I'll have to 'up my game' cut back more on the food and work harder on the treadmill.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was consuming in excess and I actually put on 70 pounds in the 2 years of my heavy drinking. If the calories you were drinking put you above your body's maintenance, then you won't lose weight.

I've been sober for about 8 days and dropped 5 pounds, however, this is mostly because I have been busting my butt working out and trying to eat well. The first week of a new regime is usually when the most dramatic results are seen though (and it's all water weight), so don't take my number really all that seriously.

If you change your eating habits and start to give your body what it needs nutrition wise, you'll start to drop weight.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I lost about 10 lbs, but not until 2-3 months in. Unfortunately, this wasn't good news for me as I was already on the low end of my target weight for my height, so I think I'm technically underweight now...