Notices

High Functioning Alcoholic

Old 09-21-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

GoMan: I'm sorry to hear about your struggle. Your midnight lover alcohol is going to kill you, some how, some way, some day. Maybe it will be slow, maybe it will be indirect. Maybe you will get caught and lose your family and die of depression. Maybe you'll die of a heart attack 15 years too early.

How would you feel if your dad committed suicide by booze? That's what your kids will one day feel about you if you keep drinking. Choose life and please choose not to drink, just for today. You deserve to be free of this monkey on your back. Surrender.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I usually start to hope the wife and kids would head to bed in an hour or so. All so I could sprint drink vodka.

Been there, done that. Vodka about did me in.

And yeah, I might have be considered high functioning, by everyone but me. High profile job, good salary, big house, and in the end, morning drinker. I fooled a lot of people. But I couldn't fool my body, long term alcohol abuse is hell on biological systems.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

grateful...my husband's father committed "suicide" by drinking. He was in his mid 50's. My husband was one his way to emulating his father.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:59 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have almost 10 months sober now. I've stopped using the terms "functioning alcoholic" and "high bottom." A book was recommended to me by an admin here, "Under the Influence" which changed a number of my concepts of alcoholism.

Prior, I considered my alcoholism "high" "functioning" etc. But in fact I was a late-middle stage alcoholic preparing for the final course. Now they don't hand you a trophy when you graduate to "full alcoholic", nor do 'they' automatically take your job, family and life away. It "just happens" a little at a time.

I recall sleeping on the sofa because "I felt misunderstood" or whatever. The real surprise was when I found that controlling or stopping for a time was a lot harder than I had predicted.

Anyway, good luck to you. A few months without drinking can change a lot of our perceptions of booze!
Old 09-23-2011, 06:09 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
~sb

Alcoholics are all garden variety drunks at different stages of progression.

Welcome to SR!
Old 09-23-2011, 11:11 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
~sb

Only you can decide whether or not you are an alcoholic.