Notices

Getting beyond the mind games and temptation

Old 09-19-2011, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting beyond the mind games and temptation

Since I hit my two year mark back in June the daily mind games and mental lies cranked back up again. I'm just wondering if anyone else who's been beyond this mark has had spells or bouts where the temptation kicks back up a notch? This past weekend was bad.....really bad. I keep telling myself that "this too, shall pass" and I know if I drank, I could not live with myself - not as far down this path as I've gone now. I love life now.....I love my life now.....there's no way in hell I'm going back to that life. But dang, these mental games and the lies my mind keeps telling me are driving me nuts. I thought it would've passed by now, but it's been over three months and it's just getting worse. Please, any advise anyone can give?
Old 09-19-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

How did you get sober, Oatmeal? Did you just put down the drink, or did you confront the root cause of your drinking? I ask because I had periods of abstinence in my drinking career and some things got better -- my health, some of my relationships -- but I was essentially unchanged. I've heard it said, "The same person will drink again," meaning, we have to change. It was true for me. After awhile, even knowing what I did about the consequences of my past drinking, I picked back up again. You're one up in that you are recognizing what's going on. Now...what are you willing to do about it?

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 09-19-2011, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good that you are aware of what's happening now. I do think that recovery is a life-long journey and it's not always a straight line. I wonder what changes you've made in your life?
Old 09-19-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Sugah View Post
I've heard it said, "The same person will drink again," meaning, we have to change. It was true for me.
Same here. If the old me was just choosing to not-drink ODAAT, I would still make a wrong choice once in a while. I had to transcend the old me.

Exalted is not a word I like to use in recovery because it sounds like churchianity. However, "Elevated in rank, character, or status" is exactly what it took for me to find a form of recovery that was "safe, comfortable and reliable".

It never ceases to amaze me that when it comes to new cars, everyone wants "safe, comfortable and reliable". But when it comes to sobriety (a life & death issue), most people want something just good enough to get them to the next gas station.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

why do you think it's all started up again Oatmeal?

D
Old 09-20-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Oatmeal,

Thanks for coming on the forum and talking about it,
Sounds like a very important crossroad that you have come to.

I am very interested in hearing more from members who have gone though this and what they did about it.
CaiHong