Notices

another myth busted...

Old 09-19-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
I always assumed that all the "wine is good for you" studies were subsidized by the liquor industry. I know that I would probably subsidize them if my livelihood depended on people drinking alcohol. It's not necessarily right, but from a purely Machiavellian perspective, it certainly is smart business.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I know I've commented on this thread like a billion times already, but I did want to say that yeah, maybe some of the research is being funded by alcohol companies, but a lot of it (the majority, I would say) is legitimate science - research done at universities and not at all funded by alcohol companies. I actually know several people who do this type of research. Resveratrol/polyphenol research is a really hot topic right now in the scientific community and most of the science is totally legit.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks, DG, I was tempted to make the same point. Also the story is based on a review of existing studies by a group actively lobbying for higher alcohol taxes. Hard to imagine that being an unbiased review of the data....

But to Dee's original point, the whole "red wine is good for you" debate doesn't really apply to the likes of me. Those news stories were always quite clear that it might be good for you if you have a glass or two. Well, I never drank for my health, and I never drank just a glass or two. Wine wasn't the problem. I was the problem.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee!

I equate the studies about the benefits of wine consumption to the studies that were done a hundred years ago about the health benefits of smoking...so it's nice to see something on theflip side.

A lot of non-alcoholics that drink more than is wise tout these studies as an excuse. Good to see a counterweight!
Old 09-19-2011, 09:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I just sent the OP's post to a friend of mine who drinks 1-2 glasses of red wine every night because of the health benefits. Maybe that'll get him to admit that he just likes wine and MUST have it every night.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChaoticSunshine View Post
I just sent the OP's post to a friend of mine who drinks 1-2 glasses of red wine every night because of the health benefits. Maybe that'll get him to admit that he just likes wine and MUST have it every night.
You sound like a pretty bitter friend.

Nothing like having a good friend pointing out your faults.haha
Old 09-19-2011, 09:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Personally, I think there's nothing wrong with having a glass or two every night -unless, of course, you are an alcoholic and an alcoholic wouldn't have one or two glasses!
My Aunt and Uncle would come home from work and always had a couple drinks, chatted about their day, relaxed -and were never considered alcoholics.
Depends on the person but I certainly wouldn't bring it to their attention because I was an alcoholic.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I thought we were here to assist each other in our recoveries, not cast stones at those who are able to drink moderately.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

well, if a couple glasses a night of wine is soooo good for you, I bet a couple BOTTLES are even better...................

NOT!!!
Old 09-20-2011, 09:28 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Lets be nice here people.
I am an alcoholic. There is nothing in my vocabulary that reads: "one glass of wine". That phrase does not exist.
On the other hand, I know normal people who can have that one glass of wine and nurse it all night. Having said that, no, I don't think normies ever drink wine for health reasons. They don't even think about it. While I was obsessing all day about alcohol, they gave it no thought.

I am skeptical that the liquor and wine companies are trying to make us drink. I think that like most companies they are trying to make a buck. If they are deliberately trying to make us into alcies, I wonder about that too. We are about 10 % of the population and that doesn't really make us a big share of the market.

They don't have to do any hula hoops to reach the alcoholic market, I was there as a loyal customer as soon as the liquor store opened: they didn't need to make commercials for me. When I see wine commercials on the TV, it is SO not directed towards me.

In sobriety I have some problems watching the ads, because I feel so different.

Blanket on the grass, nice wine glasses, friends enjoying a wine and meal together? That was so not my reality.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Supercrew View Post
You sound like a pretty bitter friend.

Nothing like having a good friend pointing out your faults.haha
...perhaps i'm just jealous that he could usually stop with 2 glasses and I needed a bottle.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Nice one Dee, this info has been around for ages and doctors do not recommend drinking red wine to stay off heart attacks nor to thin the blood, an aspirin maybe, red wine never...it is a BS myth!

Another great example how we will always find someone to tell us what we want to hear lol made that 2 bottles of red seem a lot more sensible at the time;-) Well cmon if one glass is good for us think what 2 bottles will do...every night!
Old 09-20-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

It all depends on the size of the glass. Lol
Old 09-20-2011, 02:23 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

If I was allergic to salmon and consequently didn't eat the stuff, it wouldn't make a bit of difference to me if it was good for other people or not, nor would I invest any energy in arguing about it.

So what is this all about?
Old 09-20-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
We are about 10 % of the population and that doesn't really make us a big share of the market.
Wrong. In the USA:

• Binge drinkers are 23 percent of the population, but drink 76 percent of the alcohol.

• Frequent binge drinkers are only 7 percent of the population, but drink 45 percent of the alcohol.

Without heavy drinkers, the alcohol beverage industry would collapse. It cannot survive in its current form with only moderate drinkers as consumers. "Drink Responsibly" is a ruse, and moderate drinkers are not their target market.

See US DOJ: Drinking in America
Old 09-20-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Well, like littlefish, I sure didn't need ads to get me to drink. I'm not going to blame some shadowy alcohol industrial complex for my choices. I was a master of deception and manipulation, not a victim of it.

lol, fair enough. I'm just standing around the SR water cooler, shooting the breeze, OTT. I bet 90% of my offline discussions have absolutely no point at all...
Old 09-20-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
Not sure if that was to me or not?

I saw this article and I thought it would be interesting for people here to read - like I said, I see the red wine myth pop fairly often in the forums from newcomers and not so newcomers alike.

If I was allergic to salmon and consequently didn't eat the stuff, it wouldn't make a bit of difference to me if it was good for other people or not, nor would I invest any energy in arguing about it.
That's a good position to have - and I expect now never to see you investing any of your energy in arguments here OTT

D
Old 09-20-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Well Dee, I was only trying to be helpful, by pointing out that the issue is really irrelevant from a recovery point of view. Unless, of course, it's somehow entertaining for folks to obsess about a substance they've decided to avoid.

However, if you'd prefer to get into the merits of the discussion, I believe you're quite wrong. The weight of the evidence appears to be that moderate (MODERATE) drinking is beneficial.

Here are some recent studies showing that:

1. Moderate drinking lowers the risk of dementia: http://journals.lww.com/ajgponline/A...ementia.3.aspx
2. A drink per day is beneficial to women: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_1...-10391704.html
3. Moderate drinking lowers the risk of heart disease: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/he...1466-28216953/
4. Moderate drinking reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes. http://www.ajcn.org/content/early/20...29170.abstract
Old 09-20-2011, 05:36 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't have posted it had I thought it irrelevant.

We cater for a wide variety of members here...some with 25 years, 30 years sobriety...and some on day one, or working to it.

If you find it irrelevant tho, OTT that's perfectly fine - there's a million other threads here you can share on.

D
Old 09-20-2011, 05:37 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Thank you for sharing the article Dee! Interesting.