Notices

Past Friendships and sobriety

Old 09-17-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Past Friendships and sobriety

Hi all,

So since I've gotten sober about few months ago I've been struggling with a ton of issues, one of them being friends. I have a small circle of very supportive friends who knew me before and after my drinking. My problem is one of these friends, while she says she supports my sobriety her actions show otherwise. When we go out to dinners she's always drinking in front me, she'll text me how bad her day was and say thank god for wine, and when I'm in moments of wanting to go out to drink she's the first to say let's go (lucky for me I always take a step back and change my mind before going). Overall, I'm just not sure what to do regarding this friend...I have not confronted her on this issue and how it bothers me yet. In the past 90% of our time together involved drinking, so deep down I feel she misses that and wants me to be the party girl again (my drinking really only affected me and my family...not really my friends, at least not this particular friend). I'm just confused on how to handle the situation.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

not sure if it's the same deal, but I had a friend.

We spent a lot of time drinking and getting high together

No matter what I said, he missed his partner in crime - he tried everything he could to get me back into my old life.

We had to part company in the end.

if you've laid it all out for this woman and she's still trying to get you back 'in the game' maybe you need to consider doing the same thing?

D
Old 09-17-2011, 09:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LittleChris View Post
Hi all,

so deep down I feel she misses that and wants me to be the party girl again .
I have friend like that. They had to come to terms that I am not the SAME party girl that I used to be. Some have tried to coerce me into drinking...Point taken and I make sure that I distance myself from that person for a while. Real friends are supportive
Old 09-17-2011, 09:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This type thread always calls for my patented reply.
Your friend will not take you to work or pay your SR-22 insurance when you get a DUI.
Your friend will not throw up blood for you when your body finally has had enough.
She will not pay your bills when you get fired.
She has her own hangovers to deal with so she will not take on yours.

Let her know how you feel and if she can't handle it then end the friendship.