Notices

No scrambled eggs today!

Old 09-17-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool No scrambled eggs today!

Nope, I just made a huge omlet(sp), with tomatoes, cheese, a bit of diced ham and a couple small diced mushrooms and I gotta tell ya, it's good stuff.

When I was drinking, most Saturday mornings the most I could manage was a couple scrambled eggs, because I always broke the yoke, cause my hands trembled too much. I would be too hungover to dice anything, which is why I still have all my fingers, for I knew better than to play with knives while hungover, lol.

The Friday night blues are gone and it's back to good ole sober and single life for me today. I couldn't wish for anything better!

Love to all, SR.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
YUM! I never ate as a drunk...maybe every third day or so just to keep from fainting. Which is why I ended up looking like the cryptkeeper from tales from the crypt LOL It's beautiful to be able to enjoy preparing food and eating it YAY on keeping your fingers!
Old 09-17-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you still have all your digits.

I used to cook huge meals while drinking...get so full of booze that I wasn't hungry and fed it to the dogs. The dogs are so much healthier now...lol...and I think they prefer me sober despite the loss of huge meals
Old 09-17-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks ladies for letting me know I'm not the only one, lol.

I remember when I would try cook hungover, I always seemed to be angry and would constantly drop stuff, then spey a few choice words at the world because the pan slipped or I'd spilt milk all over the counter, lol.

I still spill the milk on occasion, but I've tuned the outbursts down a few notches and cut out most of those choice words.

It's just nice to be able to cook and not feel like crap, or go for a walk, read a good book, hang with sober friends, you get my drift.

All things are better when there's no hangover attached.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by firestorm090
All things are better when there's no hangover attached.
so true...what I didn't realize was that I lived in a perpetual hangover day in and day out for 7 years. I didn't know it because feeling like that had become normal. Strange how that happened. and sad. There are no words to express the joy of not feeling like sh*t all the time. No matter how difficult life can be at times, feeling good and looking healthy is amazing!
Old 09-19-2011, 07:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
so true...what I didn't realize was that I lived in a perpetual hangover day in and day out for 7 years. I didn't know it because feeling like that had become normal. Strange how that happened. and sad. There are no words to express the joy of not feeling like sh*t all the time. No matter how difficult life can be at times, feeling good and looking healthy is amazing!
So true Soberlicious!! We got so used to our half-lives that we forgot what it meant to live and breathe! I'm 33 days sober, been feeling fantastic every morning and then this morning I woke up feeling tired, achy and a little nauseous, and my brain flipped back and thought, "Ohhhhh how much did I drink last night?"

Oh wait, I'M SOBER!!!! Hahahahaha!! I think I must be getting the cold that everyone else around me has. What a strange feeling to be able to know when I'm actually sick vs. hungover, novel idea...
Old 09-19-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

you get so much done when you put the bottle down.
and you can actaully taste your food.
I drank so much it felt like i had burned all the taste buds off my tongue.

the house has never been cleaner and organized.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good thread,

Good to remind ourselves how we were then and how we are now.

I managed to cycle to work yesterday and I got angry only once at another cyclist.

Cycling is my barometer of how well I am travelling (excuse the pun).

glad to hear you are feeling better Firestorm.

CaiHong
Old 09-19-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

These moments that you guys are all describing...eating, cooking, waking up realizing that yes you are feeling good, cleaning the house....I call these "tiny joys" and I collect them. Stepping into a hot shower, smelling the air, standing in the grocery line with calm and ease...so random I know, but I recognize and collect these tiny joys all the time. My friends laugh at me because I'm like "look a tiny joy...grab it!" lol I guess some would call this "gratitude". I look at them as pennies that add up to millions I have not had a drink in almost 5 years, and collecting these tiny joys has not stopped yet, rather it's gotten stronger. So much for the "pink cloud" theory
Old 09-19-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's crazy the difference in ourselves -things we can accomplish and things we can do, organize, cook, etc.
I have been OCD organized lately. It's scaring me. LOL I was always organized, never bounced a check, always knew where things were...but now...it's worse.
I was off from work today and got more accomplished today than I would drunk in a month. I even cooked chicken and bacon and make a wonderfully delicious chef salad.
It's just unbelievable what can be accomplished.
And ya know what? Now I don't feel guilty lying on the couch to close my eyes.
Good Job everyone! Keep up the good work. Gotta take a nap!
Old 09-19-2011, 04:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

they all sound lik small things but we all know that even wiping down the stove after cooking was the worlds biggest task while drinking.

I love the tiny joys reference. I have to start using that. There are so many everyday
Old 09-19-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Dallas, nice to see you posting more.
It sure is good to taste your food and to remember preparing it too
Many times I would wake and find the stove a total mess and one time the gas burner still on. Pretty scary and dangerous too.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

did some blackout cooking myself...so so glad those days are over
Old 09-19-2011, 10:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Nice post! It's a good feeling! I love waking up sober on the weekends and cooking myself a nice breakfast -- nothing quite like it.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yeah, really great post. Tiny joys is a terrific concept. Thanks, everyone.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Cooking is a good topic. I used to cook elaborate meals, especially on weekends, so that I would have a good 2 or more hours to sip the wine. Cooking became an excuse to drink at least a bottle of wine or more by myself. And then I would drink another bottle with my husband with the meal!
In sobriety, well, I have AA meetings to go to in the evening so quick meals are now the order of the day. I try to find fast recipes