Notices

Man, the weekends are so so hard!

Old 09-16-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Man, the weekends are so so hard!

I have recently started back trying to quit drinking, but when the weekends come I just feel like I'm missing something or like I'm letting my life go by without experiencing it. I don't really miss the bar scene, but in a way it's the only way I know to be social and "out there." And since I live alone it is even more lonely/boring. I don't really have any friends either so I don't know what in the hell to do with myself. I guess at least at a bar I could small talk with someone sitting next to me or have a chance to meet someone cool. Oh well. Guess I have to find sober activities on the weekends if I am to keep this up for the 50 millionth time. GAAAAWWWDDD!

Here I sit in front of the TV once again on a lonely, lonely, boring, boring Friday night. Well, at least college football will be on all day on Saturday. That will help a little.

So, if you are staying home tonight...what is everyone doing?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm staying home tonight as I do most nights, living alone as I have for the past 2 years. Fixed dinner, watching some college football, going to download some music later, emailing a few people, checking in on SR and staying contentedly sober and not bored. But I'd rather be bored then still imagine drinking was entertaing and productive. Guess I'm just lucky, huh? Best with your Friday.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
I'm staying home tonight as I do most nights, living alone as I have for the past 2 years. Fixed dinner, watching some college football, going to download some music later, emailing a few people, checking in on SR and staying contentedly sober and not bored. But I'd rather be bored then still imagine drinking was entertaing and productive. Guess I'm just lucky, huh? Best with your Friday.

I stay home most nights too and it gets old, real old. I have got to find another way. I do the same Cool Fitz. I make dinner, watch TV/movies/football, internet, email, SR, and pace around the house, clean up a bit...but it gets so old after a while.

But I def hear you on rather being bored than drunk and less productive or all hung the F over the whole next day. I am trying my best Fitz, seriously.

I can remember when I would get obliterated on a Friday night and then wake up in the afternoon sometime and still not feel rested. During the fall, I couldn't ever enjoy a day of football on the TV b/c I would end up noding off and falling a sleep in my recliner or on the couch or my bed. What a horrible life....and I absolutely love some college football.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

I attend aa and have been going to a meeting via getting a ride from someone who is now my sponsor. 5 pm pick up, Indian restaurant & talk, 8 pm meeting, just got home a half hour ago...been going almost every friday since my second or third week sober. Saturday is a quiet night, for now. Might see parents for an early dinner tomorrow, but tomorrow isn't here, yet.

Definitely find sober people!
Old 09-16-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I here you Rift. My problem got to be where it didn't matter weekend, weeknight, weekend day, week day, doing something, going somewhere, doing nothing, going nowhere. Drinking became my life, I left myself with nothing else in the end. By the way, I am going out next weekend but not to a bar, someplace safe with someone safe. I'm having to seek it but its worth the search. Hope you find something that works for you.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Rift,

I also have that problem of not knowing what to do, if I'm not drinking. I quit 46? days ago, and I don't have a tv hooked up yet, and it's my first time living alone. I'm on my computer a lot, and do video chat sometimes, and watch free online movies at night.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey Rift

The weekends were hard for me too - I'd spent 20 years with the weekend being equated with fun and fun being equated with getting smashed.

I felt like I was missing something too.

But when I thought about it, there wasn't much fun to be had for me - not for many years, and there wasn't anything much good to miss...just a long list of catastrophes than started with me talking that first drink.

There's a million things to do on a weekend, and a million ways to have fun - drinking is very much in the minority

I'd spent years just sitting in a bar or sitting at home watching TV getting wasted though- I really had to re-learn how to be social again without alcohol being involved and I had to re-learn how to have fun sober - it takes some time and effort but it really is worth it

Think about the things you like to do, or would like to do - you're only limited by your imagination, rift

D
Old 09-16-2011, 08:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
hey Rift

The weekends were hard for me too - I'd spent 20 years with the weekend being equated with fun and fun being equated with getting smashed.

I felt like I was missing something too.

But when I thought about it, there wasn't much fun to be had for me - not for many years, and there wasn't anything much good to miss...just a long list of catastrophes than started with me talking that first drink.

There's a million things to do on a weekend, and a million ways to have fun - drinking is very much in the minority

I'd spent years just sitting in a bar or sitting at home watching TV getting wasted though- I really had to re-learn how to be social again without alcohol being involved and I had to re-learn how to have fun sober - it takes some time and effort but it really is worth it

Think about the things you like to do, or would like to do - you're only limited by your imagination, rift

D
You are right Dee...there are so many other things that I could do with my time other than get smashed. No doubt about it.

And you are right again that getting drunk isnt't really fun...for me anymore, it really isn't if I really think about it. It was something I did to kill time and to shut off all the thoughts I had. It was only fun on occasion. But even if it was fun to get drunk it really sucked the next day...so in the end it really is never worth it.

The thing is I don't really have any hobbies or many interests. I know it's sad, but its the truth. Mostly I go to the gym, read books, try to get involved at church, or go for a run/walk around the neighborhood...but other than those types of activities I am at a loss for what to do or what I enjoy doing. I just don't know. Well, I guess I have to find out, right?

At least I'm not drinking tonight and I did not give in...that is what is most important.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd drank for so long, I actually forgot all the things I used to like to do - no joke.
This list may help spark some memories or maybe even inspire you to try some new stuff

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

D
Old 09-16-2011, 09:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rift View Post
You are right Dee...there are so many other things that I could do with my time other than get smashed. No doubt about it.

And you are right again that getting drunk isnt't really fun...for me anymore, it really isn't if I really think about it. It was something I did to kill time and to shut off all the thoughts I had. It was only fun on occasion. But even if it was fun to get drunk it really sucked the next day...so in the end it really is never worth it.

The thing is I don't really have any hobbies or many interests. I know it's sad, but its the truth. Mostly I go to the gym, read books, try to get involved at church, or go for a run/walk around the neighborhood...but other than those types of activities I am at a loss for what to do or what I enjoy doing. I just don't know. Well, I guess I have to find out, right?

At least I'm not drinking tonight and I did not give in...that is what is most important.
Good.

Reading is not boring, it's fun. When I quit I was able to read again without the pages getting all blurry, remember what I read, and not fall asleep after 2 paragraphs. So glad I can do that again.

Similar thing with the gym. I don't have to rush home to start drinking and now I am getting in better shape.

Maybe you should look at what you're doing now more positively. And if it's not fulfilling find something else to do. You're free, and there are so many things you can do now that the shackles are off.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I first got sober I too thought my life was boring and dull. Turns out it isn't boring at all, but now that I'm sober my life is predictable - and I like that. I pretty much know what's going to happen, and tho it may be a bit dull sometimes I'm content that I'm living peacefully and no longer too sick or too drunk to function.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Weekends are hard for me as well. When it comes to things that I enjoy, I noticed that I spent so much time partying that I guess I have to get to know myself again. It's coming back to me slowly and I'm remembering what I liked before and even finding new hobbies. But I haven't been sober for very long and have a long road ahead of me. I find that this place curbs my urge to drink, especially on Friday nights. Good luck Rift!
Old 09-18-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I feel you.. But whats even harder on me, is that theres a bar literally 3 houses down from me. 3. But you know what? But I want no part of it. I hate it actually. The people pi$$ me off (was I really that loud and annoying?!)..the people getting in cars taking off loaded pi$$ me off (esp the bikers!)..although I am bored- I am thankful I am sober. (Its been about 3 months continuous..I had a 2 week slip up, it would have been over 5 months). Keep your head up.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Rocky

D
Old 09-18-2011, 07:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sounds like you need to pick up a new hobby or volunteer somewhere a couple nights a week.
When I started my job I requested my weekend to be Wed/Thurs instead of Sat/Sun. (Because I had AA on Thursday) That has since changed and now I'm home Sunday/Monday. Problem with a small town is not even the grocer is open on Sunday and the only thing to possibly do at night is go to the bar. SO....I spent most of the day watching the Hallmark channel, walked the dogs, visited my daughter at her work, cleaned, vacuumed, etc...what more is there to life as long as you're sober?
Considering the alternative...I'm a happy camper this way.