Notices

Confusing dreams - can't get a good night's sleep!

Old 09-15-2011, 08:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Confusing dreams - can't get a good night's sleep!

Hi everyone!

I've only been sober for 3 days (including today), but I have had the weirdest dreams EVER. I'm not drunk or drinking in the dreams, but they make no sense at all and of course I wake up thinking that they're real.

I've noticed this as well before when I would go to bed not having had any alcohol. I'm thinking that it's probably because I'm actually sleeping - as opposed to the drunk sleep that feels so good but isn't at all satisfying because you aren't actually asleep.

Is this how normal people sleep? I haven't gone to sleep without having had any alcohol in SO long!

-Thanks!

PS - Can I just say how nice it is to lay in bed and read this forum in place of cracking cans or bottles and googling stuff drunk? I am slowly figuring out what my triggers are, and apparently, bedtime is one of them (or the nighttime retreat to my room by myself when I know no one will bother me). I'm so grateful that this site is here for me to log onto to be reminded of where I was, am, and could be with alcohol and my addiction.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I never dreamed when I used a substance (besides my prescribed sleep meds) to fall asleep...but when I stopped using and started getting real sleep (I think your assessment is correct - you're probably just actually getting more and better REM sleep, which is when dreaming occurs...substances tend to keep one in the other stages of sleep), I have the weirdest most life-like dreams. In fact, I'm frequently aware that I'm dreaming and, to a degree, can control what I do in my dreams - it feels totally bizarre. I'm not sure if it's "normal" but it certainly happens to me

Congrats on getting sober! I'm on day 4 (this time around)...isn't it nice to really sleep?
Old 09-16-2011, 05:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That happened to me too. When I was drinking I truly don't remember dreaming very much at all. But when I first stopped drinking my dreams were intense and it seems like I will dream all night long now. I still find that in some of my dreams, even after day 44, I am in my dreams drinking alcohol. I guess it's my brain screaming for the alcohol, which its not going to get.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can rest your mind......dreams have no hidden meaning.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

After years of numbing my mind, it really went into overdrive when I stopped drinking. Intense, crazy dreams and lots of daytime fantasies. It took a bit to settle down (the fantasies took longer than the dreams which only took a week or so). In a few months I felt normal.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yep - wicked weird dreams here too. Bedtime was a trigger to me too but I read. THen next evening I'd have to look back to see what the last thing I remembered and start from there. Some books I mush have read a dozen times before I finished them. LOL
Old 09-16-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Okay good, it's not just me. Last night I had some pretty wild dreams again. And, I must admit, I LIKE dreaming! For so long I just kind of remember passing out and just waking up. I wonder how I'll sleep when all the alcohol from the 2 years of abuse is finally all out of my system.

Day 4 today, and luckily because I just moved, my social life is pretty much non-existent so I don't have to worry about the Friday and Saturday night celebration triggers!
Old 09-16-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Chaotic -

I had really vivid dreams the first week or too as well. It's definitely a common thing. It's like a hyperactive state that our brains have to deal with after getting off alcohol. It settles down after a short time, though.

I agree about how nice it is to lay in bed with a laptop and be able to connect with everyone here, rather than drinking ourselves into a stupor. The mornings aren't so bad either!
Old 09-16-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i would welcome dreams. i can't sleep at all. tonight will be day one again. last time i think i slept about 2 hours in 3 days. good luck chaotic.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

My experience was just like Artsoul's. It's almost been a month (my how dat time do fly), and I continue to sleep very very soundly. Hang in.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dreams are very common

I chose not to ascribe any deep meaning to them - I just keep on what I was doing - keeping my commitment to staying sober and things worked out just fine.

I hope you'll find you're sleeping normally soon. It was maybe a month for me?

D