Notices

Does AA really work?

Old 09-15-2011, 05:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does AA really work?

Went to pchairst this afternoon and she has put me on lorazepam and is referring me to counseling but it may take a month so she suggested attending AA three times a week- does this really help?
Old 09-15-2011, 06:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes....It's been around for 76 years and does, indeed, help keep people sober. Better yet, it helps people live with being sober, the whole life on life's term thing.

Give it a shot. What do you have to lose?
Old 09-15-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
There's alot to read about on this site in relation to your question. There are probably as many answers to that question as there are people on this site. Read on and then decide what you believe at this point in time.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can only speak from my experience, but AA works for me. I went to my first meeting to help me quit drinking. I stay because of the difference it has made in my life. And i see it around me everyday in my Fellowship, both at meetings and here on SR. Through the program of AA, i have learned not only how to live sober, but to live a happy, useful, joyful life. I have learned to feel emotions and find joy in that, no matter what emotion it is. I have become more present in my life than I ever remember.

AA works for those who want it and are willing to do the work of the program.

I'm curious how your psychiatrist came up with the number of 3 meetings a week? Not saying it is right or wrong, as i don't think there is a right or wrong number of meetings to attend. Was just interested in what seemed an arbitrary number. I still go almost everyday. I sit with people with 30+ years of sobriety who go to a meeting every day. And on the other side, i know people who go to one meeting a week, or even a few meetings a month.

Good luck finding the path of sobriety that works for you.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

LLC - Just go. AA's track record speaks for itself. Obviously it works for some.

AA could end up being your saving grace or a complete dud. In any case, I caution against putting too much stock in AA-related opinion, good or bad. Firstly, a review's efficacy is greatly dependant on the reviewer's verbal acumen. Secondly, if you lean a certain way towards AA you are likely to tend towards opinions that agree with our preconceived notions...again, good or bad.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the motivation you have to stop drinking is more important than the program itself. Recovery takes a lot of work and commitment so I'm glad you're seeking support.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

What helps people is a path that makes sense to them. Try AA and see what you think, but know that there are other mutual support programs (SMART Recovery, LifeRing, SOS, Women for Sobriety), other strategies (AVRT/RR), medication supported pathways (the Sinclair Method) and many more. Plus lots of people don't use anything, they just decide to quit and do so, using the support of family and friends from their regular lives.

One thing I'd caution you about is to run as fast and as far as you can from anyone who tells you that their way is the only way or suggests that sobriety achieved via a different method is of less quality.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If your going by the numbers and studies then AA will not work for most but with that said all other recovery programs also have the same small percent of succeed rate. It really comes down to you if you want to stay sober and will work for you to stay sober and happy.

You should always research all the programs and see which one will work best for you and if it does not work then move on to the next one.

Your counselor is telling you to try AA because it's the most known and most likely there will be meeting different meetings in your town. Try it if you think it will help.

Personal I like SR because I don't have to see anyone in person with my problems and I can pick and choice what I can read with people programs and see if I can give some help. In any type of meeting like AA or SOS. I have to listen to everyone problems which I don't like to sit through. I would rather go to a meetup about the same interest with me like art or science topic. It's not depression.

Good luck finding your recovery program.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, I agree with Ranger.

The program of AA is in the book. Meetings are the fellowship which are supposed to support the program. I found that meetings were horribly boring and tedious until I understood that for meetings to make any sense, I needed to understand the program and begin the steps.

I love meetings now. They are fascinating.

AA works if you do the work.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have been in AA and I think it may be very useful. I don't attend to meetings anymore. Indeed, I only went to AA during few months, some time ago. But I learned there many useful lessons that have helped me to remain sober now.

You will learn a lot if you go to AA. There are many different groups, some are better than others.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

3 is a pattern. AA is a fellowship. Like this site, each person is at different times in their sobriety. AA is something that requires Action. It is a program each person chooses to work. It's not magic. Meetings don't keep a person sober, it's the amount of effort put into working the program. It has helped over 2 million people stay stopped from drinking alcohol.

It's not the only way to stay stopped. I'd give statistics, but others would argue. It is free to anyone with a desire to stop drinking. Couldn't hurt to try at least 3 meetings a week.

Don't try to agree with it or to understand it. It's something to work into one's life and to experience. It should be worked with someone who is working it.

Best wishes on your sober journey!
Old 09-15-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Be careful with the lorazepam, it can be addictive. As far as AA goes, yes, it can help people live a happy sober life. It's not for everyone, but it does work, there are many sober people living productive lives thanks to AA. Give it a try, what have you got to lose but your misery?
Old 09-15-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You are likely to get out of it what you put in, which is the same with any program. I attended AA early in my sobriety, I heard real life testimonies of how it has helped people out of terrible situations, and you could definitely see the difference. I don't attend anymore as it's a very long distance for me to travel, I still do therapy though. Throughout sobriety, support can be crucial so I agree with your pdoc.

AA supports various beliefs, there is nothing compulsory in it, if you are shy when you first go it's okay to listen to others, you don't have to get up and talk about yourself until you are ready.

Alcoholism is a sickness that affects us physically, mentally, spiritually and soforth. I think it's good to have a personal program that addresses all those issues. Some people find it difficult to get into the spiritual area, maybe because they have some preconceived notions about it, and I remember in early sobriety I tended to see things in very black and white. My spirituality includes feeling at peace with myself and others, recovery has helped me with that greatly and you can't put a price on it.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

All I can say is that AA worked for me. I think Anna's point is worth repeating: the greatest determinant in whether somebody gets and stays sober is the individuals willingness to work for it. Sobriety is harder than non-alcoholics can imagine, but absolutely worth it in my experience.

Good luck!
Old 09-15-2011, 08:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

AA did for me what I couldn't do for myself.

The fellowship of the meetings is great. Knowing that I am not alone in my struggles with alcohol is such a relief. Hearing others share their faith, hope, and experiences helps keep me sober. I've been going about 1 1/2 years and have made some close friends.

I also know that when I travel on business I can easily find an AA meeting and I can go and be accepted like I'm family. It's a great way for me to ensure that I stay sober when I'm alone in a hotel room in a strange city.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
One thing I'd caution you about is to run as fast and as far as you can from anyone who tells you that their way is the only way or suggests that sobriety achieved via a different method is of less quality.
You mean, there are sobriety judges out there?

I really hadn't noticed. :-)
Old 09-15-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Go and decide for yourself.

Whatever you decide I wish you much success.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

firstly welcome 1969. I admire your courage to admit there is a problem, the first and in my opinion the most important decision an addict can make. Note that addiction has many faces, from drugs to alcohol and many more. To answer your question I would comment as follows: You will get advice from a wide range of people, some against and some pro AA. Statistically there is a less than 15% chance you will stay sober and stay in AA. Again statistically you will relapse many times before the "penny drops". For me i have walked this path and have always come unstuck. The good news is that we are all very different and 1 recovery system may not work for another. For me it was looking death in the face..... Call it my near death experience, my rock bottom, to finally realise that this thing is bigger than you, me and that it cannot be done alone.

I wish you well on your journey
Old 09-16-2011, 04:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by llc1969 View Post
...suggested attending AA three times a week- does this really help?
The original AA founders made the observation, 'Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path.' The path is the 12 Steps, not just meeting attendance.

I have found that statement to be one of the truest things I've ever heard. I've watched many thousands come into the rooms of AA meetings and fail. I've never seen anyone fail that thoroughly worked the Steps and stayed active in living the principles.

The idea that AA needs to make sense or that I need to agree for me to be successful with it is not true. AA made no sense to me when I started. I walked in a staunch atheist, and couldn't see how these actions had much to do with my drinking. But my experience with being unable to stop drinking and stay stopped had left me desperate enough to really pt some effort in the Steps, even the stuff I didn't agree with.

Much to my surprise, it worked exactly as promised for quite a few years.

quote aabb1st
Old 09-16-2011, 06:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by AVRT View Post
You mean, there are sobriety judges out there?

I really hadn't noticed. :-)