Notices

I said Goodbye to a Friend

Old 09-15-2011, 03:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I said Goodbye to a Friend

I just got back from a funeral, I knew this lady a few years and she suffered from alcoholism, she called me 2 days before she died to tell me she was quitting, she at the time had 2 days clean, I am not sure if she relapsed, died from withdraw related issues or took too many pills to make up for lack of alcohol because she had a pill issue too. They say when she went to the doctor on day 2 of her sobriety the doctor gave her methadone and she may have taken 9 pills, she died that night in bed asleep.

I was not aware that they gave methadone for quitting drinking, but I don’t know what she told the doctor.

She had asked me ‘how I done it’, I have been asked this a few times by people in my life that still suffer, and I don’t really tell them a lot because I am still in early recovery and don’t feel I know a lot about helping others, I just say you need a lot of support and a doctor doesn’t hurt, I can’t help to feel she would still be alive if it weren’t for me being an example that she could quit too, but I do know I can’t blame myself for what’s happened.

She left behind 23 and 25 year old sons, a husband and she was only 49, the list of people in my close family and friends list that died of alcohol related causes continues to rise…

It is so sad to see another victim succumb to this terrible problem that we fight every day, she was a great person tormented by alcoholism.

R.I.P.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((SomethingBetter))) - I'm sorry for your loss. Don't feel bad for not going into detail about "how do you DO it?". In early recovery, I was one day at a time, and the most I could offer was "one day at a time".

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-15-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
orangutan

Very sorry for your loss.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Somethingbetter,

Thankyou for your post. It sure reminds us of the serousness of the disease.

CaiHong
Old 09-15-2011, 04:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss, SomethingBetter...I do appreciate the post. Hugs to you.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The horrible reality of addiction continues to amaze and depress me. I am grateful I stopped before something awful happened to me. There, but for the grace of God, go I...
Old 09-15-2011, 05:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend SomethingBetter. Alcohol withdrawal is nothing to take for granted.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 09-15-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

So sorry for your loss. Are you in AA? Or another program? I wish you peace. It's not your fault in any way, remember that. Keep yourself sober. (((Hugs)))
Old 09-15-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I, too, am sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. It's so easy with this disease to live in denial... to think something bad will never happen. You're in my thoughts!
Old 09-15-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i have a few things to say, other than, sorry to hear about your friend.

1, just because youre in early sobriety does NOT mean you dont have much to give. you have more than those with less time than you, and you can serve as a reminder to those who have more.

2, i have NEVER heard about methadone being given for drinking... something about that story sounds fishy to me...
Old 09-15-2011, 09:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No Sugarbear, Im not 'in' any ‘program’, just read here, I am not really blaming myself, but just can’t help to wonder if anyone else wishes she would have never talked to me about quitting. I'm ok though, actually I'm pretty good, this has certainly given me peace about staying sober forever, eventually we have to stop anyway right?

Hey Esyla, thanks (I think), I do answer questions to the best of my knowledge but staying sober has to come from the inside, I don’t really know what to say sometimes so I am not a good counselor, if that makes any since. I do point out a few givens though, like wanting to be sober, using support like this forum or AA and other types.

Everyone else Thanks…
Old 09-16-2011, 01:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your loss xx
Old 09-16-2011, 10:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to hear it. Buried my brother in law recently and his death was alcohol related. 2 months before that buried a friend who relapsed with pills and drink.

It never gets any easier. I am really sorry you have to go through it.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sorry about your loss. Learn and move on is the only thing you can do now.