Notices

clonidine (sp?) and visitril

Old 09-15-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

clonidine (sp?) and visitril

I went to the doctor today & she gave me a clonidine patch and visitril for every 6 hours as needed. Im just wondering how well these work. I have been taking hydros everyday since my surgery in April and started taking around 8 a day so I finally decided to get help. I have a 2 year old son to take care of and obviously having withdrawal symptoms doesnt go very well with that. so im hoping to hear from you that these medicines have good results. Thank you
Old 09-15-2011, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've never heard of these drugs but I do hope they help you!
Old 09-15-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

A quick search said clonidine is for high blood pressure. The patch. Can also be used for other conditions. Visatril (on the label of the container) is for alcohol withdrawal & other thins.

What does doctor say? Ask doctor your questtions.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Clonidine cuts some of the opiate withdrawal symptoms to a more manageable level. Vistaril is a non narcotic sedative, relaxant... Sort of like benadryl. Neither have much of the kind of buzz that people like, but it's better than experiencing severe withdrawal. It makes people sleepy.

Those two medications have been around a long time and have been used in this way for years. Good for you to begin recovery!
Old 09-15-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

clonidine made me extremely tired, i'd be knocked out and then i'd wake up a few hours later and toss and turn miserably all night.

it did not help my wd symptoms in any way other than making me sleep through them for a bit. definately not something you can take if you arent planning on going to bed.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you talked to your dr about your drug use and getting help.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Clonidine is for blood pressure. It is commonly prescribed for people who are going through withdraws. Vistaril is an antihistamine. It is used for itching, anxiety, nausea and sleep. It is non narcotic. Make sure you talk you your doctor about concerns. Read the insert on the medication for side effects or ask you pharmacist.