Notices

My Last night out of town 7Months Sobriety today!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Last night out of town 7Months Sobriety today!

Well it looks like good planning paid off. Four nights in Chicago on business surrounded by people I work with and booze everywhere. I made two AA meetings while here and they were great meetings and a great use of downtime helping me not to build up any resentments.

I learned that not everyone drinks and many who drink have no problem with it. I used to think everyone drank like me - I was wrong.

We took a shuttle down to the Navy Pier tonight and had dinner at Harry Carey's Tavern. I was with two guys, one had a good beer, the other a whiskey. I had soda water. Then we had hot wings and buffalo calamari.
It absolutely blew my mind how they could have a drink or two and just quit. Yet another reminder that I'm not like that and likely never will be - so why try.

I would not recommend anyone in early recovery sit down at a bar with pals. I was in a really good state of mind (two AA meetings in 3 days) and trusted myself to make good decisions. I smelled the whiskey and felt just a bit of resentment that I couldn't partake but the conversation was about fishing and being outdoors and I realized I had only begun living after I quit drinking.

I'm in bed. Tired, sober, thankful.
Thanks for letting me share.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 7 months - and a successful trip

D
Old 09-14-2011, 09:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Guess what? Not 2 seconds before you posted this, I was in despair because I had read so very many sad sad sad posts tonight, I thought, why hasn't anyone posted something positive? Then I refreshed the page and I saw your post. Great job on 7 months.

I too have found that no one gives a shite how much or whether you're drinking. I can now easily tolerate almost any social situation without being tempted to drink (I have 11 months) and the only problem is that I get bored talking to people after they've had 3+ drinks.

Of course, I can really sympathize with the people in their 20's on SR. I don't think I would have been able to quit at that age (although I wish I had) I'm in my late 40's so at my age, we're not partying hard anyway.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow good for you! Not many people could have done what you did. I have a problem with pain pills.. not so much the alcohol but if I had been sitting down with people who were using I dont know if I would have been as strong as you but one day I hope to get there.. I am in the very beginning of recovery myself! Congrats and stay strong!!
Old 09-15-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow that's great news, and congratualtions on your 7 months!! I was just wondering what meetings you went to in Chicago as I am there every other weekend and still haven't found any that were what I was looking for. My home groups are in Milwaukee, and I may just be picky, but if you could share where you went I would appreciate it. Congratulations again, and have a safe trip home!

-p.s - maybe post this in the February thread to bring it back to life?
Old 09-15-2011, 05:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

Congrats on your 7 months!! Thanks for sharing about your business trip.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations on 7 months!!
Old 09-15-2011, 07:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 7 months! Thats really great!
Old 09-15-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 7 months!! Fantastic

Best Wishes To You!
Old 09-15-2011, 07:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 7 months. Having a plan ahead of time really helps, I did the same thing the last time I went away on business.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 7 months!
Old 09-15-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Nice work. I am only 3 days sober and have many business trips coming up. All of us know it is hard but well worth it. A nice post like that always gives me hope that I will pass these tests of my sobriety. Thank you
Old 09-15-2011, 03:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Amazing post . thank you !