Notices

Day Two...Very Tough...

Old 09-14-2011, 05:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day Two...Very Tough...

Hi Everyone,

Today is tough...it is my second night into this change. My husband is doing everything he can to get under my skin and stress me out. My stomach is still hurting from a couple nights ago which isn't helping. I did manage to NOT stop at the store on my way home as much as I wanted some wine to numb the situation I am in at home. Does anyone have any advice how to disengage/disassociate yourself from your trigger if you can't leave the environment? My trigger is my husband. If you can believe it, I actually don't really like the taste of the alcohol, it's the numbing effect it gives that makes me go back to it. To all of you struggling along this path with me...I am praying for you....thank you all for being such a supportive group of friends....
Old 09-14-2011, 05:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of members here deal with partners who drink and with relationships where there are a lot of triggers.

There's a lot of support here, so please keep posting

Have you thought of more support - real life stuff like AA SMART etc?

D
Old 09-14-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am in the same exact boat, it seems like my wife has been trying her hardest to crawl underneath my skin today too, just got to walk away from the situation
Old 09-14-2011, 05:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never liked the taste of alcohol either, but I used it to self-medicate.

Why not try to go out for awhile, or be in another part of the house? Maybe you can get absorbed in a movie or a good book?
Old 09-14-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

I strongly suggest finding your local domestic abuse program. I know exactly where my local Abused Person's Program is and I was there for classes, etc when I needed it.

Prayers to you

Go to another room and read, call people, whatever. Al anon can help, too. Distract yourself from the trigger.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone...

I felt a bit overwhelmed last night...I ended up hiding out, cranking opera music in my ears anytime I had to go downstairs where he was, and read a book and had a cup of tea. I really appreciate everything you shared with me and want you to know I am praying for you too. Sugar...I do know where the shelter is and was working with a counselor there who was fabulous. She has moved to another state and did not feel comfortable with me working with her replacement as she felt she wasn't as well equipped to help me in my situation. They do have classes there too but they are at night and I don't have any help with my daughter to go. I am in a bad spot right now. Lots of hugs to everyone!!!
Old 09-15-2011, 05:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

But Angels ... YOU DID IT!! I know it's tough right now, but you are taking care of getting better first. Just take it one day at a time. When your brain isn't so focused on the wine, you will be thinking much more clearly. Can you take your daughter to the classes? I would think the other woman in that situation would be understanding of you not having a sitter. If you can, try to develop some friendships with some of the woman from that center. Together you have more support. I will be praying for someone for you to connect and talk with. Keep up the good work!