Notices

Accidental sip?

Old 09-15-2011, 05:42 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

If it was accidental, i wouldn't count it. I bet it would wreak havoc on my brain though!
Old 09-15-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I find it hard to accept that you would not be aware of your surroundings and who is drinking what! If you remember is was with the first sip that awakened the disease of addiction, do you really think it would be any different. The disease of addiction is similar to a cancer it can be put into remission and it only takes a small spark to bring it back to a full blown state. Your question already indicates that you are holding a lit match and might be entertaining thoughts of using.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I have decided that if this happens and my sponser tells me that I have to start over it's all good. I could do the steps better this time around. The important thing to me is that I reconize that sobriety date doesn't really matter. The only thing that matters is sobriety today and helping people today.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Accidents happen. I can see how it might start minds games for you, though. Being careful and aware of your surroundings when there's any alcohol present is the best way to avoid a mistake.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:18 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I decided it was time to quit drinking. After some time into it I went to a bar with friends. I was drinking Diet Coke. I picked up what I thought was my drink and took a nice swig. It was rum and coke. Next thing you know I was sitting at the bar ordering shots of tequila.

Lesson learned for me. Once you decide to quit drinking don't go to the bar.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I just experienced this mistake. I am so angry and frustrated at myself. I am at a work event and after working hours a hospitality room opens and both beer and sodas are available. I asked and thought I received a Diet Coke. I sipped it and it was indeed gross. I spit it all out the moment I made it to the sink. To my horror, a 12 oz silver can with red letters in my hand didn't say Diet Coke but said Coors. I called my wife immediately. I knew it would sound far fetched, but I honestly didn't care. I used to keep secrets. I could of easily kept it to myself, but to me the moment I decide to keep it a secret would be the moment a relapse would start. I love my life and being sober. I hate that I put myself in jeopardy. But I can't change what happened. I can take ownership. I can get honest. I can learn from this and not make the same mistake. I feel better writing this out. I am alone right now and my network of people are asleep at the moment. It's good to know these words will reach people who understand and think as I do. I am an alcoholic. I did not intend nor wish to get drunk. I do intend to hit my knees before I sleep and try my sponsor again when I wake up in the morning. My sobriety date is 5-21-06. I am not asking. I am telling. To thine own self be true. This unfortunate mistake happened. This is my experience. Take a second to look. Don't be in a rush. Double check. Triple check. It meant nothing to the guy handing me the incorrect can. It means everything to me. I am responsible for what goes in my mouth. I did not, nor do I want l, to get drunk.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:15 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Truman - glad to have you join us.

They made an error, you spat it out...it's all good I think

D
Old 11-15-2016, 09:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Smile

I knew a guy in out-patient treatment who kissed a woman who had been drinking, one evening after the day program, and subsequently had a few drinks himself.
Even though, the next day of classes, he was totally honest about what had happened, the counsellors threw him out of the program. At the time, and even now, I felt that was really unfair (afterall, he had admitted to what happened).
Other people in the program drank and drugged at night but kept their yaps shut. Needless to say, they ultimately got certificates for successfully completing the program. Not so for the honest guy!
Old 11-15-2016, 09:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thank you for the feedback D. I was very happy to find this website/blog tonight. 👍🏻
Old 11-15-2016, 09:58 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TooMuchAlcohol View Post
I knew a guy in out-patient treatment who kissed a woman who had been drinking, one evening after the day program, and subsequently had a few drinks himself.
Even though, the next day of classes, he was totally honest about what had happened, the counsellors threw him out of the program. At the time, and even now, I felt that was really unfair (afterall, he had admitted to what happened).
Other people in the program drank and drugged at night but kept their yaps shut. Needless to say, they ultimately got certificates for successfully completing the program. Not so for the honest guy!
I've had to tell my husband that I don't like him kissing me after drinking beer. To me, it's like playing with fire, so why even go there. Sort of like how I don't like him to cook with alcohol. I'd rather avoid alcohol at all cost.