Notices

New to SR

Old 09-14-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to SR

Hi,

I have been reading alot of your posts and have gotten so much from my time here, thanks. I am single mom and used to drink a bottle of wine pretty much every night....it was my way to relax at the end of a long day. But in the morning I would always regret drinking the wine the night before as I would be tired and miserable. I would vow not to drink again, but somehow would find myself at the liquor store that night. Anyway, on 8/21/11 I decided that I wanted to be free, and I haven't had any wine since. It hasn't been too difficult as far as cravings, but I have been extremely irritable and extremely teary, I feel sad and cry at the drop of a hat! How long does this kind of thing last?, I feel like a different person and I can't seem to control my emotions.....thanks for any input.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

Good for you for deciding to live a sober life.

It takes awhile till we figure out how to deal with emotions, but hopefully you'll feel better as each day goes by.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Peaceful, glad you've decided to take control of your drinking. The guys here are terrific so stick around. Going through the early stages myself so right there with you. Best of luck.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi peaceful. Welcome, I hope you enjoy reading & sharing here. It has helped me in my sobriety immensely!
Old 09-14-2011, 02:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Peaceful - Welcome to the family - congratulations on your decision to want a better life.

My emotions were all over the place for months after I quit. You aren't even at one month yet, so you're still getting used to life without your "buffer". I had relied so heavily on alcohol to numb myself from troubles and worries. I had to learn to live again in a different way. (Have you checked with your doctor about your feelings? Just in case something else is going on.)

We look forward to hearing more about you. Posting here helped me to not feel alone anymore. Things will settle down, and you'll be so glad you made this decision for yourself & your children.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by peaceful1 View Post
used to drink a bottle of wine pretty much every night....it was my way to relax at the end of a long day. But in the morning I would always regret drinking the wine the night before as I would be tired and miserable. I would vow not to drink again, but somehow would find myself at the liquor store that night.
I hear ya. Sorry to hear about dealing with difficult emotions, but glad to hear you haven't had bad cravings. I haven't been sober for as long as you have, so I don't know about how to deal with the feelings yet. So far I've just felt fatigued and exhausted. Hope you feel better soon. Hang in there! Glad you've joined us.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll hold off on seeing a Dr. about the moodiness. It's more than likely a symptom of withdrawing from alchohol. Thanks again for your support...
Old 09-14-2011, 03:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! Having your emotions all over the place is fairly common in early sobriety.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR peaceful1

D
Old 09-14-2011, 04:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello, peaceful. Sorry, my english is not very good.

Have you had depression problems previously?

It is quite common in early sobriety to be in a roller coaster. For me, things got better after 1 month, and even better after 2 months.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I get teary quite a bit still (5 months in), but I actually cry far less now than when I drank.

I get choked up when other people cry, like on TV even. Even about dumb stuff. It's kind of embarrassing because I'm not the kind of person that wears their emotions on their sleeve so it bothers me that I can't control it.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Oh and I almost forgot, Welcome to SR! I'm glad you are here.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

First, welcome to SR, and congrats on deciding to do something about your drinking.

moodiness is common in early sobriety, seems to vary as to how long it lasts for everyone. For me, it lasted about 2 or 3 months.

However, i wanted to touch on something you said. . .you said you can't seem to control your emotions. Well, welcome to life! For years, i tried to control my emotions, i did it by drinking. When i quit drinking, yes, my moods were all over the place. Those evened out. As that happened, i actually started to feel emotions. They were confusing for a while. Now i realize, i cannot control my emotions, but i do not have to let them control me. i experience them, no matter what they are. happy, sad, painful, joyful -- all of them. I feel them, then i can deal with them. i can experience them. And i embrace them all.

i wish you the best!
Old 09-15-2011, 04:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome