Notices

God answers Prayers!!!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

God answers Prayers!!!

My story:

I’ve been an alcoholic for 20 years. My drinking habits include everything, but 75% of it is Jack Daniels and beer. For the past 8 years I’ve been drinking a ½ of a 5th every evening. For the last 2 years I’ve shown signs of alcohol withdrawals. I’ve tried to quit 3 times, but the withdrawals were just too much. I even went to my doctor and he prescribed medication, but it didn’t help. It was embarrassing as I would be at a lunch appointment and sometimes would shake significantly when I put my ice tea up to my mouth. I remember one time having soup at my parent’s house for lunch and the spoon would shake so bad I couldn’t keep the liquid on the spoon. Hell ½ the time I could even hit my mouth. My alcoholism has cost me 2 marriages and a handful of jobs. Though I only drank in the evening except on the weekends.

So, for the last several weeks I’ve been praying. I have faith and I am a believer. Saturday was the last time I took a drink and got rid of every ounce of alcohol in the house. I’m changing my patterns and my social events. I’m considering AA through my church, but one step at a time.

My withdrawals this time are NOTHING compared to what they were before and nothing has changed. I’ve always eaten well and stayed fit. Compared to what I went through before this is a cake walk. I know I have a LONG way to go, but I’m proud that I made over the 72 hour hurtle which from what I understand is the worse. I know it can take weeks and even months, but I already feel better. The only issues I’m dealing with are minimal shakes and absolutely NO sleep. I’m not tired though. It’s weird.

Anyway I just thought I would reconnect and let you know how I’m doing. I put this at God’s hands and I truly believe he is responsible for this.
Regards,
Redfish
Old 09-14-2011, 10:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Editor

Amen Redfish....That is what worked for me as well. Similar story....same results. Keep up the good work and dont let that AV talk you into anything!!!!!!!
Thoughts and prayers
Dave
Old 09-14-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Redfish...glad to see your post! I, too, had up to a fifth a day habit, but most days, a half, or the equivalent with other types of alcohol. It didn't matter to me what I drank, I was looking for the effect.

Anyway, I first joined in March of this year. I made it a month, and now am back with 39 days today. What you say is correct; it gets easier, especially once the physical addiction is pretty much gone. Staying off the hooch is where AA comes in for me. It is helping me change my thinking so I can not only be sober, but grow as well. I also am a man of faith, so that should be an easy leap for you.

Anyway, glad to hear from Texas! My brother is in Houston as well. Welcome to SR, and the best for you in your recovery!
Old 09-14-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Redfish . . . good for you for getting rid of the alcohol and making this a new start. Try an AA meeting (or a few). I was amazingly surprised how at home I felt with the folks there and sharing what I had been through and truly hearing that "I am not alone." And neither are you.

I'm really glad to see you on here - and you will get much support. Keep up the good work. I've found that 'One Day At A Time' is a powerful tool for me.

You are in my prayers. Keep posting here to let us know how you're doing.

Be well, be strong, be sober!
Old 09-14-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome back, Redfish and congrats on getting sober! It's great that you're starting to feel better already - I hope the insomnia gets better soon.

One day at a time...... you can do it!
Old 09-14-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Congrats are your sober journey!
Old 09-14-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back and congrats!
Old 09-14-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Redfish - You have a great attitude, very proud of you!

I remember the shaking spoon thing - while having lunch with my boss, too. That's when I decided, in my infinite wisdom, to start drinking at work. That took care of the withdrawal problem. How I wish I had done what you're doing instead of continuing with the insane thinking. It cost me many years, & made my life a nightmare.

This won't happen to you! You're doing this thing - be proud.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Awesome post! That made my night!

Congratulations and nice work as well.