Notices

I don't want to drink...

Old 09-13-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't want to drink...

I am having a hard time dealing with "life on life's terms". It is just too much to deal with. I am an alcoholic 34 days sober (this time) but as I write this my husband is slamming back crown royal and smoking cigarettes (I gave up both). I also have lupus. And a son with brain cancer. And lots of financial problems. I used to drink all this away but now I can't and I feel like I'm having a panic attack. I can't stop crying. I'm angry at my husband for drinking around me. I know for me to drink is to eventually die and it is a big deal that so far I have been able to stay sober through all this and I'm so scared I won't make it. Again. I'm sorry for whining I'm just scared and angry and life is just so hard without numbing myself.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're going through such a hard time, Eliasson. Life is definitely a lot harder when you don't have a means to shut yourself off. But we all know alcohol makes it worse in the long run. Short-term gain for long-term pain. No matter how bad things get, alcohol isn't going to solve any of those problems.

I commend you for 34 days of sobriety. That's no small feat! Hang in there.

*hugs*
Old 09-13-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry - I know it's hard - we know drinking solves nothing but the lure of numbing out is a strong one.

Have you tried 'playing the tape through to the end' though - think about the consequences of that numbing out - there's a whole lot of other stuff that comes with that numbing out, and it's that stuff that bought you here to SR.

There are better ways to deal with things rather than numbing out - I really recommend you look for support - for yourself and your drinking and your pain issues, for dealing with your husband's drinking, and for dealing with your sons illness.

I had a lot to deal with too, when I got sober - I'm a disabled man, so they were different things, but difficult just the same....

With support I found I could deal with a heck of a lot more than I thought I could...and my self esteem, my relationships, and my sobriety were for all the better for that.

don't go backwards Eliasson - keep moving forward - reach out and find some help

D
Old 09-13-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"life on life's terms"

Is an expression I hear a lot in AA, are you in AA?

If so, call someone or go to a meeting. If not, why not try AA, what have you got to lose (except misery).
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Lewisville, grapevine, & denton have AA meetings. Be nice to yourself and get to a meeting to find others who understand what's going on.

Prayers to you
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Lewisville, grapevine, & denton have AA meetings. Be nice to yourself and get to a meeting to find others who understand what's going on.

Prayers to you
Old 09-13-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Congrats on 34 days! You're a true miracle!!!

Sorry about the double post. Unless someone's Higher Power is intervening!
Old 09-13-2011, 05:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

34 days is pretty amazing when you're having such a hard time.

Inspirational is the word. As is brave. As is Welcome!
Old 09-13-2011, 05:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, said Elvis...she's doing great, especially considering all the crap she is dealing with.

Hats off to you, Eliasson!

...a big Texas 10 gallon hat, of course! ;-)

Kelly
Old 09-13-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you so much to everybody. Yes, I go to AA meetings, tho they aren't always easy to get to if my son or I are sick. My husband just set his drink down next to me, and I set my Big Book down beside it. I will not drink tonight. No matter how bad it is, you are right, alcohol will make it worse. I don't have any desire to go back to that dark place, and my son needs me sober. Thank you to everyone for being here. I'm so grateful for all of you and for my sobriety today. Thank you.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am sorry for all you have to deal with, and I know it's really hard to deal with everything that comes along, when we've been used to numbing ourselves.

Maybe you could avoid being in the same room with your husband when he is drinking?

Congratulations on your sober time!
Old 09-13-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Eliasson I am on day 1 so I commend you for making it 34 days. Don't go back...think about how badly you will feel physically, emotionally and spiritually. Stay strong, leave the area where your husband is drinking because it will only make you want to drink. You have a ton of stuff going on...try to reach out for support. Call a friend and distract yourself. I am so sorry you are going through this...but you can continue to stay strong. Take care of yourself so you can be there for your son. He needs you....sending you hugs and prayers this evening....
Old 09-13-2011, 06:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
orangutan

Hi Eliasson well done on 34 days . Sending strength your way to keep going.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Sorry things are so tough...

I agree that going to a meeting is probably the hardest thing to do in your current state of mind, and yet probably the time you need it the most.

Best wishes to you, and congratulations on 34 days, that is super awesome.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thinking of you Eliasson, stay strong and stay sober!!
Old 09-14-2011, 10:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Eliasson - Good for you for not drinking! I can see how you would feel so overwhelmed. I think anyone in your situation would feel the same way. It's just that we're not used to dealing with strong emotions sober, so those early days can be pretty challenging.

Just keep being there for yourself. Give yourself some love and understanding and stay in today. You're already winning by not picking up that drink. :ghug3
Old 09-14-2011, 10:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Eliasson . . . you are an inspiration. Stay strong. For you. And for your son. Prayers to you all.