Notices

Day 1

Old 09-14-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I just wrote this for the Sept group Bailey - I dunno....it might be useful for you too
Feel free to join the group as well!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post3104789

D
Old 09-14-2011, 06:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you've joined us, Bailey!

I didn't want to quit drinking either and thought about it all the time at first. Just try to focus on today and don't let your mind go off into the future - it helped me a lot. I wasn't sure I could stay sober forever, but I knew I could get through the next few minutes/hours.

We gather strength as we go along, so it definitely gets easier. The cravings get further and further apart and less intense. At first I had one or more cravings per day. By 3 months, it was maybe once or twice a week, and so on. At 16 months, I can say that it's been months since I've had any real craving - it's more like random thoughts......

I'm sure that sounds like a long, long time right now, but you'll feel encouraged as you see progress. It's a great when you get to the end of the day and realized that drinking hasn't crossed your mind even once.....

Hang in there - we're here for you!
Old 09-14-2011, 06:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Even though it's only day 2, it's been a seriously tough one for me...had to go to my parents house to water my moms flowers while they're out of town...(basically a free bar) their house has a liquor cabinet stocked at all times...usually going in and downing a couple shots would have just been standard procedure...wouldn't have cost me a dime and nobody would have even known (except me of course)....was extremely hard not to do it...I couldn't tell if I was going to do it or not... Even unlocked the door and went inside and looked at it at one point...somehow found the ability not to (I think being on here the last couple days gave me extra strength) but ever since being so close and having those thoughts, it's hard to get them out of my head...still keep going back and forth on whether or not to go to the store...at the park with my kids writing on this site...hoping it will chill me out...
Old 09-14-2011, 06:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Bailey - It may not seem like it, but that was quite a hurdle you got over by not raiding the liquor cabinet. Talk about temptation. Like you said, - no one would've known but you - yet you're the most important person of all.

It's only normal to have close calls like that in the beginning. We're learning to live again in a whole new way. You're doing great - thanks for posting about what happened.