Notices

Good morning

Old 09-12-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good morning

Hello and thanks for taking the time to read my first post. After a brief time reading some of the posts it looks like I have found the right place. I have tried to quit drinking on several occasions but they have always come as a result of family members asking me to. Now I am making the choice to live without alcohol.
I'm 44, a weekend binge drinker and to be honest I am sick of it as much as those I love are.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Alva! I know when my life became unmanageable, I too made a decision to quit. You'll find a lot of support here, it makes all the difference in the world.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 09-12-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for the encouraging words opivotal. I know the support is going to make the difference this time around. Reading other posts and seeing people who have gone through the same experiences makes me feel I am not alone in this.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good choice!

We do understand how hard this is, so keep reading and posting.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR alva. If you are willing and ready, you can do it. Admitting is the first step. Ask for help. Lean on friends and family. Pray if you believe. What ever it takes. I am the same age as you are. I could no longer use the excuse I was young and having fun. Time for me to grow up and take control before it killed me. Stay strong.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome. It means a lot to me
Old 09-12-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sober Rocovery Alva! This site has been a life saver for me, I hope it's as helpful for you.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....
Old 09-12-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Alva! I too had that weekend problem. Stick with this forum...we can do it. Was not even tempted this past weekend, even with offers of wine. Woke up each morning happy I felt good. Glad you are here!
Old 09-12-2011, 10:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's amazing how you feel when you are able to get out of bed on a weekend morning with no hangover, have a great productive day and actually have no fear of going to work Monday morning. That's where I'm trying to get to and for more than 1 weekend in a row.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lpnangel View Post
Welcome to SR alva. If you are willing and ready, you can do it. Admitting is the first step. Ask for help. Lean on friends and family. Pray if you believe. What ever it takes. I am the same age as you are. I could no longer use the excuse I was young and having fun. Time for me to grow up and take control before it killed me. Stay strong.
Ditto! I'm the same age too. Time for me to grow up.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you. Sounds like you're doing better? I hope so.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OorWullie View Post
Ditto! I'm the same age too. Time for me to grow up.
This seems like the right place to start OorWullie, lots have been through or are going through the same thing.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Alva - being just plain sick of it is a good reason to stop. I was, too - but instead of stopping I drank more. I was trying to find the old happy, carefree feeling drinking once gave me. It wasn't coming back - but it took me years to realize it.

Coming to SR showed me that others had been down the same path and had gotten their lives back. Before that, I was all alone with the problem. I found the encouragement I needed here, and never looked back. I hope you'll feel the same.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Alva - being just plain sick of it is a good reason to stop. I was, too - but instead of stopping I drank more. I was trying to find the old happy, carefree feeling drinking once gave me. It wasn't coming back - but it took me years to realize it.

Coming to SR showed me that others had been down the same path and had gotten their lives back. Before that, I was all alone with the problem. I found the encouragement I needed here, and never looked back. I hope you'll feel the same.
Thank you Hevyn, that's where I am right now. Sick and tired of waking up feeling like crap, worried what I don't remember, worried about how angry people are with me and sick of having the anticipation building as the week progresses and the weekend draws near. I want the excitement to be built on dealing with this addiction one day at a time, being proud of myself and having my family proud of me.

I have been going through and reading posts for most of the day and it truly gives me hope for the first time in a long time.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by Alva View Post
Sick and tired of waking up feeling like crap, worried what I don't remember, worried about how angry people are with me and sick of having the anticipation building as the week progresses and the weekend draws near. I want the excitement to be built on dealing with this addiction one day at a time, being proud of myself and having my family proud of me.
Alva, you are ready to make it happen. Make this #1 priority. Your life might depend on it.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Alva, you are ready to make it happen. Make this #1 priority. Your life might depend on it.
Thanks freshstart57. It is absolutely my number 1 priority for myself and for those I love.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 09-12-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Alva

D