Notices

Hurting and trying to stay sober

Old 09-11-2011, 06:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hurting and trying to stay sober

In addition to being an alcoholic I suffer from a debilitating case of lupus. I'm one month sober today but in so much pain I'm worried. The wine really helped with the physical pain! Oh and just to add a little more my son has brain cancer and the wine helped me to deal with that too. I guess ive run from my feelings forever. Right now I'm feeling so overwhelmed. I don't want to give up the one month I've worked so hard for. But I feel like something's going to give. Instead of wine tonight I've been shoveling food into my mouth so at this rate I'm going to weigh 500 pounds. When does this get easier? What can I do to help ease the physical and emotional pain instead of drink (and eat)? I'm scared
Old 09-11-2011, 07:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Try aa online. Listen to aa speakers online. Prayers sent to you
Old 09-11-2011, 07:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for sharing with us here. I am so sorry that things are so hard for you. You have so much strength to be able to have one month of sobriety today admist all your hardships and pain. Do you have the ability to join any support groups in person or on the phone? I would really urge you if you have not yet done so, speak with your Doctor about you suffering from Alcoholism and your desire to stay sober.

Are you able to get any counseling to help you deal with your Son's illness?
I know that these groups have helped people that I know who are going through similar struggles. Please try and call the Services line at the national Brain tumor society. They have lots of resources for support, it really helps me to have a support group, perhaps it will help you as well. National Brain Tumor information support line (800.934.2873)

I would also perhaps ask your doctor (If you have not already) about any caregiver support groups you could join. Also if you have a chance to join a AA meeting it could be helpful. If you cannot leave the house you can try a online meeting (http://aa-intergroup.org/)

Also there are Lupus support groups at LUPUS FOUNDATION OF AMERICA - South Central Texas Chapter

I am not sure what you have tried or not tried at this point so I just wanted to give you some options.

Also there is a strong talk that is available on the AA speaker recording website. JanisD is a Woman with a powerful talk. It takes a few minutes for it to get going but stay with it, it is powerful and helpful for many. http://www.aaspeakers.org/Jannis_D-f...-on-09-21-2002
I hope that things get better for you soon, Keep posting.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your pain.

I used to use alcohol for physical and emotional pain too - it never really worked as a solution, more a side step, and often not very effective at that.

The early days are hard - but please do stick with it - we drank for years - it becomes central to us - it takes some time sometimes, but it does get better

If you need pain relief please see your Dr - they can help - they may also be able to suggest counsellors or support groups for dealing with your son's illness?

D
Old 09-11-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Happy 1 month sober!
And like Dee mentioned, maybe talk to the doctor about ways to help with the pain.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much to everyone for your quick responses and for all the helpful suggestions I will definitely check into them all! I do try to make at least 3 AA meetings a week but it's hit or miss depending on how my son is doing. I spend so much time sitting in a hospital so I am so happy to have found this site. Y'all give me so much hope I really want to stay sober more than anything and I believe it has to get better eventually. I can't thank you enough for your kind words, suggestions and helpful resources.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Also, I'm completely computer illiterate, but where it says "the following users say thank you..." how do I do that? Put my name in the thank you part? I'm so grateful for all of the above posts and want to be able to use this feature in the future.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

there is a little box which says "thanks" on the bottom right hand of each persons post. If you click the "thanks" button it will add your name to the thanks box under the post.