Notices

First Day

Old 09-11-2011, 11:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Day

Hello.

I am just joining this site. I have Google'd a LOT about alcoholism and recovery and just random things and almost always I find a link to threads on this website so, I figured I'd take the plunge.
By the title of this thread you can probably guess this is Day 1 of not drinking. Not necessarily by choice but I have to stand watch at the barracks on base today so I just forced myself not to drink. Usually, I can't do that. For some reason today felt different and because of that feeling, I decided to change things up and join this website; I've never tried to look for outer support like this before besides talking to my family on occassions when I have a really bad day of realization, that I'm addicted.
My normal routine is to have about a 6pk a night on weekdays. On weekends I will purposely avoid hanging out with friends and just not answer or I won't text them back for the soul purpose of being sloshed at home. Sometimes it would be a bottle of wine and a case of beer. Other nights it would be a bottle of bourbon and a case of beer. I had it all worked out where I could drink Friday after work from 5-6pm or so, and go right into the early hours of the morning doing nothing but sitting on the couch with movies and I'd be completely happy.
My reasons for quitting are probably close to the same reasons some of you have quit; ruining relationships, feeling like letting your family down, letting yourself down for not living up to your full potential, not being able to go out, being antisocial.. I have many reasons but it's mostly because I'm 27 years old and I just need to quit. I need to quit today.
I keep justifying the "weekend thing" by not drinking during the week and just reserving Friday for my "night of relaxing". But wouldn't that just carry over into the week again eventually? I don't know how I feel about that.
I hadn't had a clue what my withdrawal symptoms would be like (if any) because I don't feel that I am extremely bad with it at the moment but it's still not healthy.
Anyway, I feel like this was long. Just wanted to introduce myself, put my story out there, and thank you all for the support and information I gain from this website.

Tyler
Old 09-11-2011, 11:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR! Sounds like you are in the right place.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Firstly I want to thank you for your service to the Country.
Secondly I want to pass on some information regarding online anonymous 12 step meetings for Military Personnel.
C, MIL, E, DF Military 12x12
A worldwide closed 24/7 meeting: for military veterans and GIs in uniform whose privacy must be protected under OPSEC-type conditions.
An e-mail help and discussion forum, purposefully without any website that might be compromised.

We take it as a given that military life is an experience often 100% impossible to share in civilian AA groups.

We focus on the 12 & 12 for guidance, although all AA-related matters are open for discussion -- with emphasis on military personnel, history, culture, experience, strength, and unique recovery challenges.

Each January we begin with Step and Tradition 1, then take the next consecutive ones each month, ending with Step and Tradition 12 each December.

The meeting was founded and is moderated by a Vietnam-era vet who has been active in AA and numerous general military websites since 2001.

Language common to the duty shack and bunker is tolerated, but flaming is not and will immediately result in barracks justice.
To join or for information, write to Mike B or to Rick W at the address below.
[email protected]
There is also a online 12step forum for Active duty and Veterans at
AA's Vigilant Vets - Forum

P.S I am in know way attempting to persuade you to not post here, I just know that there are many issues Service Men and Women face in the Military that civilians may not understand or be-able to relate to. But of course please keep posting here as well

All the best to you!
Old 09-11-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Tyler!
Old 09-11-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Tyler.
Day 1 for me too.
Keep strong mate!
Old 09-11-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Tyler, glad you joined us.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Tyler - good to have you with us

D
Old 09-11-2011, 02:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Tyler - welcome to the forum!

Glad you took the "plunge" and posted - it really helps to get support from others who know what you're going through.

I keep justifying the "weekend thing" by not drinking during the week and just reserving Friday for my "night of relaxing". But wouldn't that just carry over into the week again eventually?
I think you can probably bet on it. No one is more determined to control their drinking than an alcoholic and I've never met one who succeeded.

I never thought I'd say this, but life is a lot better without drinking. Take it one day at a time and keep reading/posting.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good on you Tyler,
You do need support. Good one, sobersobriety for posting the links.

I could not stop on my own. I was a daily drinker, full off anxiety. Just hanging out for work to be over so I could drink, towards the end I would drink during work just to take the edge off my anxiety, just to be there.

The last 2 weeks of my drinking, I only drank Sunday evening after I had finished work for the working week. I needed help to completely stop and still do.
Avail yourself of any help.

I wish you the best in the sober life ahead of you.

CaiHong
Old 09-11-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Tyler! (I love Va Beach) It's great you found us.

I was just a weekend drinker for many years, but in the end I crossed over from social to alcoholic drinking. I was more than happy to stay at home with the shades drawn - no one to bother me or demand anything of me. So unhealthy & self-destructive.

In the end of my drinking career I was drinking every day, all day. It was in my system at all times. That's when I found SR. I longed to be free of the prison I'd put myself in. I found all the encouragement I needed, & I never looked back. Congratulations on your decision Tyler - you won't regret it.