Notices

Down the wrong path again...

Old 09-11-2011, 12:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Down the wrong path again...

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this whole thing, but I want to give it a try and I'm really hoping it helps. I've been to rehab for coke five times and I would be good for a little while, but it never lasted long. I only managed to stop because I ended up finding out I had a heart condition. I was prescribed medicine that would help my heart slow down and then I ended up getting into a car accident and was switched to 30 mg percocets during my recovery. They were great because they slowed down my heart like the other medicine, but they also relaxed me and it was a completely different world than coke and I quickly developed a close relationship with them. I started realizing it was a problem when my rent money was gone and I was getting eviction notices because I'd spent all my money on them. For right now it would be really hard for me to get into a rehab program in my area so my only option seems to be do my best to stop without it, but I know I can't do it on my own so I'm hoping that this will help. I've never been apart of anything like this so if anyone can show me around and how all this works I'd be really grateful.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There are some amazing people here. If help is what your seeking your gonna find a lot of it here.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Who Farted?

Welcome

Hi Omaha,

Welcome to the forum. I identify as an alcoholic, but most of the time, I was also using. My drug of choice was "whatever you got" There haven't been too many herbs, pills and other substances that I have tried and not liked. Percs are a tough one to quit. As others will likely tell you, detox from anything can be dangerous and medical supervision is wise.

From my experience, the program of Alcoholics Anonymous is the only thing that has worked for me. I believe the doctors opinion (see our text book Alcoholics Anonymous) outlines addiction perfectly and logically in accordance with what I go through...perhaps it will make some sense to you as well. Following that with the first step, that I admitted I was powerless over alcohol, that my life had become unmanageable, was the foundation for the belief and acceptance that I required to recover. What was literally killing me was the belief that I had a choice in wether I would drink / use.

AA and NA, are great programs for recovery filled with my fellows, and the fees (there are none) are much less than the treatment centers. There are also other programs and techniques people from this site use, and others that have only used the support of this forum.

Keep reading and posting for the interim, hope you stick around.

Traid.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
It is entirely possible to quit without rehab. Most people can't even afford rehab.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome omaha -
Congratulations for getting off the coke and facing your current problem.

This is a great place and you'll get lots of support here. Check out the section for substance abuse:
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

There's also a reference section at the top of the main page for general posting information:Policies, Rules & Posting Tips - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I think you'll find if you just look around, you'll get the hang of it.

Have you considered talking to a doctor about getting off the percocet?
Old 09-11-2011, 03:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Omaha
Do check out the links artsoul provided

I have no experience with percs, but I think talking with your Dr, or a different doctor if you prefer would be a good idea

D
Old 09-11-2011, 08:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Everyone! I have to admit that I'm nervous and already a bit discouraged. When I would be in rehab it worked because I was on a tight schedule with no chance of getting my hands on anythings. Doing this on my own is going to be difficult because my husband also does them and is prescribed them for his back so it's not like I can just rid my house of them and go from there. I've talked to my doctor about it and from what I understand (doctors confuse me sometimes) it'll be hard for me to just stop all at once because my regular heart medication wont work as great so he suggested trying to cut back slowly and then starting back up on my old medicine. Just feeling a bit overwhelmed and it doesn't help that I take them to quiet my thoughts, get rid of my pain, and sleep. It's hard to see this as a benefit, but I know I need to stop.