Notices

Need Some Input

Old 09-10-2011, 06:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Some Input

Hey guys...

So basically, this year has been the only year that I've ever consumed alcohol at all. I'm currently 20, so I'm still quite young. Basically I'm extremely fit and active and I live a pretty healthy lifestyle etc. I eat very healthily and I gym roughly 4 times a week. Anyways, I know this is no excuse but this year I've found myself waking up with serious hangovers because of excessive drinking the night before. I've got drunk on several occasions this year in an attempt to escape some problems and issues that have been an on-going problem for quite awhile now. I know this was stupid and in no way resolved any issues, apart from feeling numb to these feelings and issues at the time. Basically, what my question is, even though I've got drunk several times this year and woken up with bad hangovers etc, if I just stop this now, will my body recuperate and repair itself enough to be extremely healthy again the way I always have been? I do plan on stopping this whole cycle. I don't do it often, perhaps maybe once a month (this year only) or there have been 1 or 2 months where I've done it twice or so. Basically, I just want to know if I haven't caused serious damage as such? I'm a very health conscious individual so I'm just a bit concerned about this. The drinking, when occurred, was intense to the point of only remembering a little bit of what happened the night before. I know this is silly, but I've never ever been a drinker and I suppose I just wanted to know what it's like. Honestly, I hate it, but running away from the problems temporarily felt amazing, although the next morning, they're still there, along with vomiting and headaches.

Okay well that's enough, I'm sure you catch my drift. I don't intend on drinking like this anymore, I've experienced it, I don't enjoy it and it sure isn't good for my system or anyone's system for that matter.

Any input would be great.

Thanks
Old 09-10-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Alcohol causes damage to our bodies, but our bodies can often heal given time and proper care. Why not get checked out by your dr and see what he says? It's always good to talk to your dr before stopping drinking.

It's good that you recognize the pattern of drinking to try to deal with life's problems. We've all been there, and it doesn't work. I'm glad you found us.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and thanks for posting!
I think you are in the right place and at the right time in your life. I wish I had the insight you have when I was 20! It is said that Alcoholism is a progressive disease, over time the drinking can and usually does get heavier and heavier. Even if one only drinks once a week or once a month, binge drinking is just as dangerous if not worse.
I would highly suggest to deal with the drinking issues now (earlier in the game rather then later) Your health, your body and mind will honestly thank you for it down the road and not even very far down the road Alcohol is literally poison to our bodies.

I have talked to many young people who have found lot's of fun living a sober lifestyle going to Young People in AA groups and conventions.
Here is a link to the list of the all the different young peoples groups listed by state.
Links

Even if you do not consider yourself a "Alcoholic" I really think you would gain a lot from meeting more sober people and hearing the stories from other young people. It is very rewarding and inspiring in my opinion.

All the best!