Notices

Am I addicted to pills, too?

Old 09-10-2011, 07:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I addicted to pills, too?

I have been sober since August 11th of this year but have continued taking my prescribed dilaudid. I have a debilitating case of lupus and am truly in constant pain i would be in bed constantly if not for the pills and I can't be I have a 17 yr old son with brain cancer who needs me. The problem is it's gotten to where I take more than prescribed and finish the pills about 12 days early at which point I start taking my son's Lortab just to function. I tried to tell my dr I may have a problem but he just upped my prescription (I still finished early). I don't know what to do. The pills are needed I think but if I'm honest with myself I think I'm also developing an addiction. I don't know how I'll make it with lupus without the pills. Do I need to change my sobriety date? I haven't taken anything so far today but am in so much pain. Maybe my problem is not just alcohol? I need to be able to take care of my son and 3 other children. I want to be healthy and be in this all the way. I'm as they say "sick and tired of being sick and tired". Any insight would be so appreciated.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Seems like your tolerance is high. Seriously speak with your doctor again. It's your body!

Prayers to you and your son.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

IMO, I would say, if your taking your son's medicine....you are addicted. It wasn't prescribed for you. Also, your prescription was "upped" by your Doctor and your still running out. I think taking pain medication for long term use builds up a tolerance and you seek more to have the same relief. Its the nature of the beast. Maybe, you need another appointment with your Doctor to sort this out.

Your situation sounds very stressful.... cross addiction is not uncommon.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 09-10-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your help. Should I just go cold turkey? Or wait for my Dr appt on the 22nd? I'm grateful to at least not be drinking. It is a very stressful time in my life right now. So happy to have found this site.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would NOT go cold turkey. Please speak to your Doctor and discuss it with him. I'm sure both of you can come up with a safe solution. I sure wouldn't want anything to happen to you! You have responsibilities at home.

Congratulations on your sober time! I'm sorry your in such pain. I think its very admirable of you to address this situation now. I'm so happy you found us here at SR. It's a fantastic place for support.

I'm sure many more responses will be forthcoming after the weekend. Please keep posting...I would like to know how your doing.

:ghug3

Best Wishes To You!
Old 09-10-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please do discuss this with your Dr before you do anything - and seek a second opinion if you're not satisfied with the response Eliasson

D
Old 09-10-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, do talk to your dr and if he isn't 'hearing' you, then try another dr.

I don't think it's ever a good thing to take someone else's medication. Also, I wonder if there is a pain clinic in your city where you might be able to discuss different options for dealing with your disease.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with Anna. It sounds as if you could benefit from a Pain Management clinic. I do not believe that taking pain medication for chronic pain is "addiction". Your body may have built up a tolerance to the dilaudid and you need adjustment with your medication. As Anna said, it is never a good idea to take someone else's prescribed medication. There are many approaches to managing pain, a number of which do not involve narcotic pain medication. I would encourage you to find a doctor you can work with if your present physician isn't being helpful to you. Susan
Old 09-11-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I used to take Ambien for insomnia. Kinda strange that the drug that messed me up the most was the easiest to drop. Take care of yourself in all ways. One of those ways is finding a doc you can work with. Personally, if I end up with a doc or therapist I can't work with then why bother?? Feeling bad when you come in is expected. Just wanna better when I leave.