SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Whats a good vitamin (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/236143-whats-good-vitamin.html)

Fiftyeight 09-09-2011 04:40 PM

Whats a good vitamin

Is there a vitamin supplement that is best for recovery? I hear fish oil is good for us

Dee74 09-09-2011 04:45 PM

I just took a multi vitamin - not sure if it helped but it made me feel better :)

We don't usually allow medical advice here tho - even on over the counter stuff.

People will share their experience with you, like I have, but really the bottom line is if you want the best advice for you, see your Dr - what worked for some here may not work for you, you may be on other medications, etc etc.

D

Anna 09-09-2011 04:55 PM

Yes, do talk to your dr.

I take B vitamins, and my dr is okay with that.

MemphisBlues 09-09-2011 05:11 PM

In September of 2010, I was prescribed a host of vitamins from the B complex, as well as thiamine. That was by a doctor, which I would strongly recommend you consult if you have the means to do so.

I did find that B12 ratcheted up my anxiety horribly, and had to discontinue, but that may be unique to benzodiazepine withdrawal.

Fandy 09-09-2011 05:28 PM

the best start is a good clean diet with lots of fresh fruit and veggies and proper hydration. you can take a multi and calcium/mag. zinc in the evening on a full stomach... tell you doctor how much you have been drinking in the past and ask for guidance. or better yet a referral to a RD (registered dietician) if your insurance covers it....and tell them what you've been doing...they can set you up with the best choices.

you can even ask the pharmacist if you like.

bigguyslimm 09-09-2011 05:40 PM

I take a Men's multi vitamin and a super B complex. I've read that B vitamins help the nervous system.

ACT10Npack 09-09-2011 05:43 PM

multi vitamin and fish oil.

ajangel 09-09-2011 06:55 PM

I take generic centrim silver. I am not a silver but its milder on my stomach. Its loaded with B vitamins which your body needs.

LaFemme 09-09-2011 06:57 PM

Fandy is right, best to start with a good diet (it can't hurt right?) and try not to eat too much sugar (some people find it makes cravings worse) after that check with your doctor:)

I take fish oil and glucosamine chondriton every day, because bad joints run in my family:)

sugarbear1 09-09-2011 09:09 PM

Talk to your doctor. Some vitamins are water soluble and some are fat soluble .......

Hooped 09-10-2011 12:30 AM

I take a multi vitimin, a B complex, and a cod liver oil pill every day.

I had developed mild arthritis in my left hand fingers which is a drag cuz I play jazz guitar and the vitimins and fish oil, while not curing the swelling, seem to have given me back much of the movement and dexterity in my fingers.
That combined with being sober for 40 days has me feeling like Tony the Tiger....Great!

FBL 09-10-2011 04:06 AM

I take a multi-vitamin and a B1 (thiamin) every morning after breakfast. Works for me:)

julez 09-10-2011 07:19 AM

B mega complex helped me tremendously

Army11b 09-10-2011 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Fiftyeight (Post 3099462)
Is there a vitamin supplement that is best for recovery? I hear fish oil is good for us

As others have said, a regular multi vit. is good, and milk thistel is a liver cleansing vitamin.

P.S. Coffee also has a lot of anti oxidants in it that helps flush you out.

A

WritingFromLife 09-10-2011 08:59 AM

I agree that green leafy veggies and fruit are the foundation---and as far as vitamins go, consider natural, high quality products--without fillers.

Boleo 09-10-2011 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Anna (Post 3099478)
Yes, do talk to your dr.

I take B vitamins, and my dr is okay with that.

Ever since I got sober, I need to take a high-quality B-Complex or Balanced B50 daily or I forget where I put my vitamins... LOL!