SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Ever find yourself... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/236140-ever-find-yourself.html)

Rift 09-09-2011 03:19 PM

Ever find yourself...

*And sorry this doesn't necessarily have anything to do with being sober or alcohol/drugs.*

I always seem to find myself randomly thinking of people from my past. Anybody from my first school days to the present. It's weird. Like at random times, especially when I'm not especially busy I will start to think about someone from my past...and think whatever happened to them or wonder how their life has turned out.

I also seem to look back on a lot of my memories with various people and feel all nostalgic. Sometimes glad a certain friendship or time period is over or sometimes wishing for the innocent good ole days when I was a young kid. I always remember liking middle school days the best for some reason.

There are so many people that I have lost touch with over the years and I always randomly start to think of them wether or not I liked them or not. It's so weird and driving me crazy. It's like... will these people ever get out of my head and out of my life/thoughts. Will every person that I meet and get to know always be in the recesses of my mind somewhere? SO weird.

And then I wonder...do these people ever randomly think of me at times in their lives. I know it's kinda weird, but do any of you experience this?

I really wish I could have selective memory or just plain forget certain people/situation/memories/thoughts/time periods/emotions.:gaah

chutch 03-30-2014 12:00 AM

nice question

i have also found my self remember in old friends ..school mates ect. and for many years there was no way to know the answers to those questions but thanks to the internet and that web site that's the really big one ,social net work, i have found my best friends that i went all through school with that i would have never found them again if it wasn't for that so very many connections have been made ,, and sad that so many couldn't but questions were still answered ,and i knew ,,,so if you ever think of some one out of the blue do a search make a connection and you will find that yes you had been thought of also thanx c.

MythOfSisyphus 03-30-2014 12:50 AM

As I get older I'm the same way. I also think of lots of people I knew back when I drank, and I wonder how they are, and what they must think of me. I don't mean that in a self centered way, and I'm sure they don't think of me at all. More I just mean girls I dated when I was a basket case; did they get married? Did they ever worry about me?

After 15 years of not talking to her, I finally reconnected with my ex wife a few years ago. Found her e-mail and dropped her a line. Turns out she'd been trying to get ahold of me for years. It was nice to talk to her and good to know all the hard feelings were gone, just water under the bridge. Next time I actually talk to her on the phone though I want to specifically apologize for all the time she wasted on my drinking.

yeahgr8 03-30-2014 02:18 AM

If you do a step 4 you can take care of this! I am doing another step 4 at 5 years sober because on the first one I understood resentments to be sitting at home wringing my hands thinking about killing another person however resentments are any thought or memory that comes into your head that changes your mood in a negative way. Sounds like you better get writing:-)

chutch 03-30-2014 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus (Post 4558529)
As I get older I'm the same way. I also think of lots of people I knew back when I drank, and I wonder how they are, and what they must think of me. I don't mean that in a self centered way, and I'm sure they don't think of me at all. More I just mean girls I dated when I was a basket case; did they get married? Did they ever worry about me?

After 15 years of not talking to her, I finally reconnected with my ex wife a few years ago. Found her e-mail and dropped her a line. Turns out she'd been trying to get ahold of me for years. It was nice to talk to her and good to know all the hard feelings were gone, just water under the bridge. Next time I actually talk to her on the phone though I want to specifically apologize for all the time she wasted on my drinking.

yes sir I could probably go for for a while more ??? and how ive made it this far without causing some ones or my demise .. should not be possible..but my life at this moment is on a ledge and if I don't stop ..job shelter , my last couple of friends who have been more than they should ,truck( its done) would be gone soon ,very soon, all the times I thought I should do somthin, but didn't, I have known ive been sick for years but didn't care..now I do. so it is a beautiful thing that you and your x can talk ,, some day I have to do the same with mine but for awhile im gonna focus on me it is nice that you take a moment to check on me thank you

Tang 03-30-2014 06:01 AM

I have this 'problem'. I'm overly nostalgic of people in my past and always feel the times were better and those people were happier/better than me. I fixate on it sometimes.