SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Sleeping without Alcohol (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/236134-sleeping-without-alcohol.html)

KellyToronto 09-09-2011 02:19 PM

Sleeping without Alcohol

Still having trouble.

Maybe I should start counting sheep.

The prescription medication doesn't always work, darn.

Hope everyone has a good weekend,

Kelly

Supercrew 09-09-2011 02:22 PM

Have you tried self hypnosis or meditation....it's kind of like counting sheep but better.

vInDaLoO 09-09-2011 03:00 PM

Sleeping without alcohol, for me now after few weeks sober a restless 3 hr sleep at night is a 100 times better than drunken sleep :) I have always had sleep problems since my early teens and I blame the whole problem on alcohol it has truly re mapped my brain , sad.

I really do not worry about sleep, if you feel like **** after no sleep or three nights no sleep that's the worst you will feel, you STILL will function ok :) Do not listen to Doctors and the like telling you that you need x amount of hours sleep, they are just reading guidelines, I was a chronic insomniac and addicted to pills for seven years along with alcohol. Just let it go if you do not sleep for 1/2/3 or whatever nights , no big deal just carry on I promise you if you take this attitude you will never worry about it again.

aasharon90 09-09-2011 03:00 PM

Ear plugs for ears and blinders for eyes.
Cut out the noise and light. Memorized
steps prayers help too. :) You'll be in
Great Hands.

freshstart57 09-09-2011 03:10 PM

Melatonin? Works for me. I like that is already made by your body when it feels it is time for sleep.

Dee74 09-09-2011 03:13 PM

Maybe it's time for a reconsultation with your Dr, Kelly?
I hope you get it sorted out soon :)

D

ElvisInASkirt 09-09-2011 03:22 PM

Same, Kelly.

I tried Melatonin but it gave me AWFUL nightmares. I thought I was being attacked by glass spiders in an elevator or something.

Actually on second thoughts it wasn't that scary.

I use Diphenhydramine now and again. Until I started having hallucinations with it.

Sleeping reset itself for me after 60 days or so of sober.

Dee74 09-09-2011 03:27 PM

Guys?

I'll get in now...

Can we all please remember we can share our experiences but we shouldn't be recommending medications here - even 'natural' ones aren't 'harmless' - they may not be suitable for everyone, they may interact with other medications etc.

It's always best to check with your Dr before starting any supplements :)

D

vInDaLoO 09-09-2011 03:33 PM

I had Chronic insomnia for seven years and was addicted to many different sleeping tablets, they are progressive like alcohol, you will always need more , bin the lot and suffer a week or two of feeling grumpy/moody at the worst, after that you will sleep better and better and better.

Sian37 11-18-2014 01:39 AM

Keep hallucinating tho :( i try to distract myself from the depression that alcohol has given me in the day. but as soon as my head hits the pillow, my mind goes haywire. gettin by on maybe 2 hrs a night and have 2 kids on my own to care for. really struggling.

Sian37 11-18-2014 01:43 AM

i dont know how to join in the conversation x

LBrain 11-18-2014 02:16 AM

I know that I drank to help me sleep. After a few months I was able to sleep normally without anything but a pillow under my head.

barefootjunker 11-18-2014 04:29 AM

Sleeping isn't a problem, now its the dreams for me... you know those dreams where you wake up thinking "Where the hell did that come from" type of dream. Never remember them much after just a couple minutes but know they were a bit on the bent side...lol

Thepatman 11-18-2014 06:10 AM

Hope you find a solution my friend.

Jupiters 11-18-2014 06:34 AM

I used to stress out super bad about lack of sleep. I've been a horrible sleeper apparently since birth (according to my mother, I was the child from hell when it came time to sleep)....sleeping "passed out" is not restful good sleep at all. I don't miss those nights whatsoever.
I'm not as stressed out now though about it. I run off about 4-5hrs of very bad sleep every night. Somehow, I guess that's enough for me. Even those ****** 4-5hrs are waaaaaaaaaaayy better than the "drunk" sleep. I can function at work.
It usually does catch up with me by night 7 or 8 and then I'll crash for a solid 6 hours.
LOL
I gave up fighting it. I tried everything natural and pharma and nothing helped so now I just let it do it's thing.

jryan19982 11-18-2014 08:22 AM

This was my biggest problem at first as well. What helped me is reading before bed, not tv at least and hour before bed, no computer for at least and hour, and no internet surfing on the phone either!

fini 11-18-2014 08:33 AM

i've had sleep problems all my adult life, and expected that alcohol was the reason and that this would all get "better" after i stopped drinking. eight years later, i still have sleep problems. no trouble, ever, falling asleep, but staying asleep.
tried most every recommendation: no screen-watching at night, no caffeine after 3 pm, calm evening, only sleeping in the bedroom, going to bed at same time, fresh air in room...all that is recommended.

the only thing that really is working for me is something i read by chance in an old "sleep" book i randomly opened in a thrift store, and it said that our intake of Cal/Mag is way too low, and should be at least 1000 mg at bedtime. i'd taken a calcium/magnesium pill at bedtime for years, just as part of my daily vitamin-thing, but then i tried the much larger dose. expecting nothing, i was floored. i slept. only woke up once, for a few minutes.
it's not perfect, but sooo much better for me most every night.

Jupiters 11-18-2014 08:35 AM

hot bath and reading.
Yup, turn the TV and phone off.

I put some drops of lavender in bath if I have some, supposed to promote relaxation.
In all honesty though, try to NOT stress about it or overthink it. That's the trick.
the more I lay there thinking "oh my, I only have 3 hours to sleep" the more I DIDN'T sleep.
my worst sleeps still leave me more refreshed than any sleep I had drinking.

Jupiters 11-18-2014 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by fini (Post 5025128)
i've had sleep problems all my adult life, and expected that alcohol was the reason and that this would all get "better" after i stopped drinking. eight years later, i still have sleep problems. no trouble, ever, falling asleep, but staying asleep.
tried most every recommendation: no screen-watching at night, no caffeine after 3 pm, calm evening, only sleeping in the bedroom, going to bed at same time, fresh air in room...all that is recommended.

the only thing that really is working for me is something i read by chance in an old "sleep" book i randomly opened in a thrift store, and it said that our intake of Cal/Mag is way too low, and should be at least 1000 mg at bedtime. i'd taken a calcium/magnesium pill at bedtime for years, just as part of my daily vitamin-thing, but then i tried the much larger dose. expecting nothing, i was floored. i slept. only woke up once, for a few minutes.
it's not perfect, but sooo much better for me most every night.

inneresting. I have the same issue. NO problem falling asleep, staying asleep is the issue.
I will def. look into this Cal/Mag thing as I managed to somehow NOT try that one!
so you take one at night?

hunterismia 11-18-2014 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by barefootjunker (Post 5024685)
Sleeping isn't a problem, now its the dreams for me... you know those dreams where you wake up thinking "Where the hell did that come from" type of dream. Never remember them much after just a couple minutes but know they were a bit on the bent side...lol

Dreams come from your subconscious. Listen.