Notices

Airport bars, my downfall

Old 11-17-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Airport bars, my downfall

Hi All - I haven't been posting as much here the last few weeks, mostly b/c based on new software at work, I became paranoid that the sites I visit would be tracked. But I've been lurking when I can and generally I have been doing pretty well.

BUT (ya'll knew a butt was coming...) today I am traveling for work and am just hanging out at the airport. Airport bars have been my downfall in the past and I'm really struggling here. There is no way to "leave" since I'm waiting for my flight, and really...anywhere I go, I'm in view of the bar. And I'm starting to get bored and keep thinking of how a glass of wine or a cocktail would be nice. Everyone else else seems be using the time we're delayed to get happily tipsy, and usually, that's where I would be. But I know where it will lead so I'm just trying to keep roll the tape forward in my head. It just really caught me off guard that I am as tempted as I am. I won't say that I thought I had this beat over the last month when I was doing well, but I had my "tools" that seemed to work. And they don't seem to be working now. AAARGH!!!!!

Reading isn't working b/c I can read with a drink. Walking around isn't working b/c it will only lead me to walk past bar after bar.

So here I am, hoping to gather some strength. I just hope my plane leaves soon!!
Old 11-17-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You travelled early this month and stayed sober. You can this time too. Just keep this in mind--airport bars aren't your downfall...DRINKING is your downfall.

So don't!
Old 11-17-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yeah.... airports. As a road warrior myself for a long time - the old force of habit would be a strong pull. Sit around and kill time by soaking back a half dozen or so vodka tonics. A couple martinis.

But oh man what a waste of my life!!

One other thing every airport has is bookstores. I spent a lot of time in sobriety going there and standing around perusing magazines and looking at books. Finding new titles and authors I'd not heard of. You can kill a lot of time in a book store. Save a lot of money too on magazines you don't have to buy, just stand there and read.

Another angle is to use airport time for journaling time. It's a great time to do that because often we use the "oh I don't have time to journal" excuse. Guess what? You can learn a lot about yourself in a couple hours at an airport, doing some journaling.

Then of course there is SR and facebook and other online time-killers.

Don't let the old force of habit get you.... it's a big fat lie. It tries to entice you in, but you know where it leads.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What I have done to avoid the airport bars is go do some shopping. Most majors have lots of great stores. Treat yourself. Much better than the alternative. Otherwise, go eat somewhere and enjoy a coke and a hot meal. It's better than you think.
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Lola23- I can totally appreciate what you're going though. I have not been to an airport since I stopped (8/2013) but I know that would pose a problem for me as well. Mainly, for me, because I've always enjoyed (needed) a little something before I fly.

I guess the only thing is to just stay strong- and no compromises, period. (And post away until your flight)

Hang in there.

Lusher
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can do this, Lola; stay focused on how great you will feel to successfully get through this challenge sober and how great you will feel to reach your destination sober.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How about a nice hot Starbucks ? It's the season for pumpkin spice latte! Or how about just walking around ?
Old 11-17-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Find the chapel.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

You can do it Lola
Old 11-17-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I always loved airport bars. The complete anonymity that it provided and the fact that I always felt removed from the real world in an airport gave me a license to drink away. Strangers all around me also getting drunk. You don't have to worry about anything because you will be 30,000 feet in the air soon.

Landing at my destination was always hell though. I drank on the plane too. Drunk trying to clear customs and get my baggage, taxi, etc. Back to the real world where I am an alcoholic.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for responding everyone. I'm staying logged into SR for now and looks like we are finally boarding soon. There are drinks onboard of course though, and no SR...but I think I can do it. I HAVE to.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You absolutely can do it, Lola!!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am not an alcoholic but I do love me some airport bars. What I don't love about them is the fact that everything is ridiculously overpriced. So maybe think about how much money you will end up spending on something that you do not need!!

I know some airports have those back massage stations. That could be nice.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I 'used' to love airports, get hammered take taxi to, drink face off there at the airport bar and hope for a delay. The plane itself would stress me out because the two or so up and downs by the attendant wouldn't be enough and going up to buy more would be embarrassing.

Idk what it is about it, huge trigger tho
Old 11-17-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Find the bookstore or news stand, load up on candy and treat yourself to a book or magazine. You can do it and not everyone is getting loaded: look at all the people sitting with you in the waiting area.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I had chronic problems with drinking and public transportation (meaning airplanes, city transit buses and Greyhounds (or Continental Trailways)).

I would get drunk and miss flights, miss bus stops, etc.

I rode around the city of Memphis 3 1/2 times because I had passed out, only to find myslef downtown and 15 - 20 miles (and an expensive cab ride) from my parents' house.

I passed out for several hours and got rolled in the Atlanta airport. I had to catch an early flight out, go home and change and go to a job interview (where the fix was in for me to get the job).

Or racing down several beers in the Knoxville airport and hurrying onto the plane (with a view to going to the rest room when we got up to cruising altitude), only to find, after rooting around the luggage in the back of the Brazilian Bondurante aircraft, that there was no rest room on the plane.

And then there was that time ...... - or, as Jimmy Buffett would say, you had to be there.

You see some very serious drinking at airport bars.

As a result of my own drinking, it takes a fair amount to get my attention, but I see a lot of morning drinking at airport bars and on flights.

That was certainly me many years ago.

I don't go to airport bars today, and I rarely go to any bars (unless there is a band I want to hear), but I know that they, and flight attendants, offer easy access to alcohol.

Please continue doing whatever it is you are to avoid the airport bars and buying drinks on the plane.

Neon lights and catchy names at bars can be a sirens song for alcohol (or, in my case, for alcoholism).
Old 11-17-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Have you seen the movie "Flight?" I just watched it recently, and I would recommend it. Denzel Washington is a "functioning alcoholic" (???) pilot, and when he pours some mini bottles of vodka into juice and then drinks it while flying the plane...something about that was very compelling to me.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I feel your pain... I do upwards of 30 trips/year for business, and I used to spend a ton of time at airport bars. I've also missed a few flights over the years due to "sleeping" (passing out) in the terminal while waiting to board...

I thought I'd be smart the last time it happened by setting the alarm on my phone and having the phone in my shirt pocket so I'd be sure to hear it/wake up when it went off... Nope... Didn't happen... I slept right through it... I must have looked like a total azz to everyone else walking by and boarding while I was sleeping through my alarm for 15 minutes before it shut off automatically... At first I thought, "why didn't someone try to wake me up?", but then, the more I thought about it, I figured maybe someone did try and couldn't??? Uggg... Even more embarrassing...lol

That last episode happened before a cross country flight back home from LAX and wound up costing me an extra night there away from my family because no other flights were available... Man that sucked...

Nowadays, I just get on my laptop and work or surf the web between flights.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Originally Posted by josharon View Post
Have you seen the movie "Flight?" I just watched it recently, and I would recommend it. Denzel Washington is a "functioning alcoholic" (???) pilot, and when he pours some mini bottles of vodka into juice and then drinks it while flying the plane...something about that was very compelling to me.
I wouldn't recommend watching that before going on an aeroplane!!!
Old 11-17-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well, in his defense, no one else could have landed that plane.