Notices

coffee?

Old 09-08-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

coffee?

i find that all of a sudden i am craving caffeine.

... and i can actually have an espresso without "going into a body shock". the thing is i never drank coffee or liked the way caffeine made me feel.
now i don't seem to have a really bad reaction to it... so i just have some here and there (not that i feel tired, just a strange craving).

i am making a conscious decision not to drink it, because i don't need another substance in my life (no matter how popular it might be).

anyone else had the same experience, just curious?

p.s. i am nearing a 3 months mark (actually it will be a week from today)... amazing how things have changed, this week i haven't even thought about alcohol.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven't had that experience - congrats on yr upcoming 3 months tho, serious

D
Old 09-08-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, I still "crave" caffeine, but I don't allow myself to drink it. It was causing some strange "thumps" in my heart. Besides, it makes me feel more proud to know that I'm off all "substances". Not that there's anything wrong with drinking caffeine, but now that I'm sober, I just love being the REAL me.... with nothing influencing it. I am OBSESSED with decaff, however... probably 8-10 cups a day.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ooooohhh...I love my coffee Now that i've given up alcohol all i drink is coffee and water. It does get a little boring though so i picked up some of those vitamin waters to try. Congrats on (almost) 3 months!!
Old 09-08-2011, 09:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Umm, coffee, i can ony drink a cup or 2 in the morning though, that may change come winter.

Congrats on the 3 months!!
Old 09-08-2011, 09:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

congrats on 3 months!

find i am drinking more coffee than usual, and looking back have historically gone in and out of super-duper-coffee-drinking phases. I've been thinking about it too, asking myself what's up with it. One day at a time; I am not in charge. that's the only answer i am aware of at this time.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I love coffee and tea and I've been drinking both like crazy since I quit and I have no regrets about it.

The only downside is my teeth are getting stained, but that's something I can deal with.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Josh...your post made me chuckle. I drink one cup of coffee a day in the morning. Thats it, and primarily because it stains your teeth. I used to be a red wine drinker and switched to white after spending the money to whiten my teeth cuz red wine, obviously, stains.

After my one cup of coffee, I drink diet mountain dew at lunch and the rest of the day is crystal lite (by the gallons).

If only ALL alcohol stained your teeth...I might be set for life....maybe...
Old 09-09-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 3 months!!!

A few days after quitting alcohol I stopped drinking coffee. Now I drink green teas(with caffeine). For me, drinking tea is an ancient grounding ritual which compliments my yoga/meditation/chanting practice.

To each his own
Old 09-09-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can't speak on the new found coffee craving, but I do believe sometimes we try to pick up new habits in place of our old. It may not be this way for you, but sometimes the mind just wants to be addicted to something.

Alcoholics suffer from the addict mind, and this is something we need to learn to manage. Focusing that addict mind on to something positive

While I personally don't see the harm in coffee, but that's all personal speculation. Never was a coffee drinker myself, and I still am not. I did pick up two habits after I quit though. One being I became a big TEA drinker. I started hot tea because I thought it would help sooth me. While it did at first, I began to drink the stuff on a mass level lol. This in turn was not helping my anxiety of being newly sober one bit! So, I switched to Tension Tamer Tea, and that solved the problem. (Great relaxing hot tea for anxiety by the way! I highly recommend it!)

My other addiction I picked up if you will, was the odd craving for candy! Like little sucking candies. I hear craving sugar for a newly sober person is quite common though. Something to do with replacing all the sugar we used to intake while drinking.

But yeah, I don't know. I really think coffee is a far step forward in something to crave over coming from an alcohol addiction. So great job on 3 months there! That's fantastic!!!

-Ryan
Old 09-09-2011, 08:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I never drank coffee when I was a drinker because I was so full of anxiety and coffee made it worse. After I quit drinking alcohol after a couple months I started to drink coffee again and I love the taste. I now drink about 5 to 10 coffee's a day as without the alcohol my anxiety has left me and the caffeine doesn't effect me like before. I like the little buzz it gives me and its better than drinking beer so that's what I do. I'm almost 5 months sober and if drinking coffee helps you stay sober I say go for it unless it gives you anxiety.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am drinking a lot more coffee. It isn't affecting me at all. I am not worried about it either. I figure I will cut back eventually. My blood pressure is still pretty low too so its not affecting that
Old 09-09-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

interesting responses. thank you all.

i think it does have to do with finding new habits, addictive mind, enjoying the kick... many of the things listed. at least that's how i feel personally.
could be a number of things, so i won't worry about it too much, but keep an eye out. for me caffeine is just not recommended (blood pressure... just small jumps) and i do feel a tiny bit of anxiety... so not worth it. just strange that craving for it came out of nowhere.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 months. Are you putting sugar in your coffee? It might be the sugar you are craving more than the caffeine...sugar cravings are pretty common in early recovery
Old 09-09-2011, 08:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
where the light is

I drink lots of coffee because it's mandatory in AA. lol Just joking. It started out as just wanting to have something in my hand at social gatherings. I love trying different coffees and coffee shops!
Old 09-09-2011, 08:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I drank alot of coffee when i was first getting sober, several pots a day. I've had waves of drinking alot to not drinking any. I think for me as long as i'm able to sleep and it's not effecting my health then it's perfectly fine to endulge. Congrats on staying sober