Notices

What finally did it???

Old 09-08-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

For me, here at a mere 40 days and counting, all of the above is pretty much true. However, the thing that is making a difference in actually quitting this time, not just wanting to quit, is the absolute understanding that I will never drink again. ever. otherwise, for me, it's just another 'try'.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
For me, here at a mere 40 days and counting, all of the above is pretty much true. However, the thing that is making a difference in actually quitting this time, not just wanting to quit, is the absolute understanding that I will never drink again. ever. otherwise, for me, it's just another 'try'.
One of my favorite quotes:

Do or do not. There is no try.

-Yoda
Old 09-08-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

nearly dying in ER during yet another withdrawal.
i liked beer, but being alive is better...
Old 09-08-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Just was so sick of all the side effects of the morning after:
Arrest
Upcoming court & fines.
Nearly lose my career.
Lost of respect.
Shame.
I could go on and on, but you get the idea. Stop now, before it is to late.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Realized I had to give my 10 year old my cell phone each night before bed " just incase something happened to mom in the middle of the night". My blood pressure was off the charts and I truley thought I was going to die one night. So, so sad to live like that.
I also realized I was going to continue to ruin every relationship I had with drinking..
Thank God for the chance to change !
Old 09-08-2011, 10:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

What made it stick? Giving it over to God.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:56 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

I needed time sober.

Time to be able to look back to see that "my way" hadn't worked too well.

Time to hear the people around me telling me a new way to live my life.

Time to surrender that I was alcoholic and could never drink again.

It is really hard, but it gets easier, with time, of course.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:28 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Alcohol took control of my life. I thought about it from the moment I came to til the moment I passed out.I had become an isolated animal, doing just enough to be left alone and maintaining that level of buzz that let me forget the damage I was doing to myself and the ones I loved.

When I finally admitted to myself that the booze had control and I would soon kill myself or worse, an innocent stranger I knew I couldn't go on without the help of others. Once I made this admission to myself and others the weight of the world came off my shoulders.

In hindsight, all the chaos and turmoil was created by me and existed totally in my own mind, and could only be stopped by sober thought and the help and support of others who have experienced and are experiencing the same challenges I face.

We are lucky we have SR and each other to help. There are far too many who will go to their grave and leave a trail of destruction without ever getting or asking for this second chance we now enjoy.

Life is good- SH
Old 09-09-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

"I'd not usually be hung over but my first waking thought was this horrible sinking feeling "I've done it again."...........this is me, to the "T". I hate this feeling. It's like I cannot wait to have a few weeks under my belt being a non-drinker. Looking very forward to it. You guys are awesome.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:41 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Sober from 11/19/13-1/18/14

I'm really not entirely sure. I believe it was a combination of things including but not limited to:
Feeling like I was starting to go insane and may end up in a mental hospital or in jail.
Taking too many risks, put my children's safety in jeopardy
Taking so much time off work because of hangovers, worried about losing my job or being found out
Xanax withdrawal, racing thoughts, feeling insane, coming to the conclusion during my withdrawal that xanax was EVIL and so are all the other substance ruining my life
Old 11-27-2013, 01:30 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Quick answer, it finally cost me more than I was willing to pay. To be more specific, I blacked out at a party, acted like a complete jackass. My (then) GF broke up with me (we are still talking), I broke the hearts of her and her daughters that I adore and love, and until that day looked up to me. It breaks my heart I let them down. It taught me I can loose control at any point, and not drinking is the only option I have to not hurt the people I care about, and who care about me. I made a promise to them and myself I WILL keep... No matter what.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:37 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

It was another Saturday of drinking all day. I had also smoked some pot which I rarely do but I had a little left over from a Christmas present. (yes, a Christmas present). So I had been drinking since the morning and smoking that pot and I was buzzing higher than a kite.

I do not know what made me go to my computer to look up the AA hotline. I did not say anything that I can recall. I did not do anything different. I was not sad or angry.

To this day I feel God reached out to me and for that brief moment I was open to his suggestion. I honestly cannot explain it and I have given up asking why. It happened and I am grateful. It was a gift I do not intend to throw away.

So I called the AA hotline said they would have a lady call me back. I waited and no call. I called back again and the same person answered and told me they were trying to reach someone. I hung up and waited again. God had given me the gift but I had to work to keep it.

A lady finally called and she took me to an AA meeting. My journey began.

I needed help, I asked for it and I accepted the help. All very big milestones for this hard headed German/Irish woman.