Notices

Out of the junk food now

Old 09-06-2011, 08:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Out of the junk food now

I've been sober now for about 7 days and the last few days I've been eating a lot of junk food. Ice cream, fry food, and anything that taste really good but now that I'm about better with my body recovery from the alcohol abuse I did to it (GRRRR), it's time to change the food that I eat now. I was always eat healthy, so that's not a problem but I was like to share that and I don't want to gain weight by my mistakes.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah my first month and a half, I ate a lot of candy and ice cream. I think it's normal. Our body is use to that sugar intake everyday, and now it's not there. Sugar is not good for us, but it's way better than alcohol. Keep up the good work and enjoy some candy.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

I'm with you, Action! I just finished another half gallon of vanilla ice cream...but I know it's the choc sauce...(joke).

Starting tomorrow morning!
Old 09-06-2011, 08:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yea, i had to cut back too, but still one of my favs is a heaping spoon of honey, and maybe a spoon of peanut butter, umm.

I could cut back some more i suppose... but yes its better than booze
Old 09-06-2011, 11:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I pack a 'healthy' lunch for work then I have mozerella stix or chicken strips and ranch when I get home. I've always been one for a big huge chef salad with chicken or raw broccoli/cauliflower w/ranch. My new fad is granola, dried cranberries and chocolate chips. Kindof a homemade trail mix but it's awesome in yogurt OR on ice cream.
And the ice cream...I have to have every night....regardless.

I'm not big on junk food and soda, etc. Working in a grocery store makes it easy for you to lose interest in these things when people are buying them day in and day out. Americans truly eat too much garbage, processed foods and frozen/easy dinners. It's unbelievable.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

so funny.
i am at 60 sober and my candy, caffeine and ice cream intake has gone way up.
i never ate ice cream before, but now cant get enuf.
same with the candy, eating sweetarts like they are gonna stop making them.

but i would rather be sweet than drunk
Old 09-07-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am finally starting to slow down on the sweets. I had to. I gained about 9 pounds. It will slow down after awhile
Old 09-07-2011, 04:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
totfit

I think food "period" is a craving right after detox. We haven't typically been eating very well while doing our thing. Contrary to popular opinion in some circles and overabundance of sweets while temporarily killing a craving can mimic the alcohol craving when it returns and is not a good thing to do. Protein, fats, and complex carbs along with a mix of vegetables is the best way to go. Complex carbohydrates will kill the shakiness also if hunger provokes it, but will not peak and drop like simple sugars. Sounds like you are doing ok. Don't sweat your diet during the first couple of weeks other than eating as well ask you can. After you get settled, then you can look at eating a healthy well balanced diet. A multi-vitamin and plenty of B vitamins are a big plus early on also.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by totfit View Post
Contrary to popular opinion in some circles and overabundance of sweets while temporarily killing a craving can mimic the alcohol craving when it returns and is not a good thing to do. Protein, fats, and complex carbs along with a mix of vegetables is the best way to go. Complex carbohydrates will kill the shakiness also if hunger provokes it, but will not peak and drop like simple sugars.

I have been having a terrible day, I really couldn’t get booze of the head today and maybe I was actually considering a night off this sober train, then I read your post, I have not ate all day, my wife has been gone and I have been home alone not feeling well so laid out of work and just been self-pitying.

Eating chicken noodle at moment and already feel better, I was starving! Thanks… Seriously!