Notices

Supportive but does not understand

Old 09-06-2011, 11:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Supportive but does not understand

Sorry if you have covered this before but... my spouse likes me to have a drink. When we met I drank and our whole relationship has mostly been drink friendly. I am a person who drinks at home to deal with anxiety (or I was until I went sober). I know he is supportive but he does not understand why I need to stop and does not see the harm in a few drinks. I feel like he is getting bored of this 'new me'. I do tend to loosen up after a few sips of wine or some kind of alcohol and smile a lot more. He is not a heavy drinker but likes a drink with dinner or when we go out to events. I have no clue how to deal with this so I thought I would throw it out there and see what you guys think.

Thanks for listening!!
Old 09-06-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well... knowledge is power, or so they say.
Would he be interested or at least willing to do some reading on the subject? Perhaps you could find some nice concise articles on the subject of alcoholism.

What made you decide to quit? Has he ever encouraged you to quit or "cut back"? If that's the case, maybe find articles about the reason we alcoholics cannot just cut back or control ourselves.
If he's open, maybe the two of you can attend an AlAnon meeting together or an open AA meeting?

Again, it all depends on his willingness to become educated.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's really hard for others to understand what we go through. In my case, my husband wanted me to get well, but did not want to discuss anything about recovery, ever.

I had to know that I was doing this for myself more than anything and that in itself, was a bit odd, because I was always putting others first. Do this for you. Yes, your relationship will like shift and change a bit. Mine did, but that's okay, because I am far better person now than I was.