Notices

recovery and anti-depressants

Old 09-05-2011, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

recovery and anti-depressants

Hi all,

So after a 5 1/2 month sobriety I relapsed (two days in a row) and have now been sober for little more than a week. I was quick to get back on my recovery path and not let a mis-step turn to a complete wrong direction. Anyways, I was thinking about why I relapsed and while there were many factors setting me up for it...I know depression was def in the mix. Lately I have been debating whether or not to get on an anti-depressant so I can better work my recovery. My one main concern is the side effects of anti-depressants , mainly the possible weight gain that comes with these meds. I am very active and eating healthy so currently am not over weight, but I'm worried that even with my good healthy habits the meds will make me gain weight (i've seen it in a few of my friends). Any advice on this? I do believe I can stay sober with or without the meds so its not so much an issue of being over weight vs. drunk...more just of being happier in recovery. Has anyone been on anti-depressants that didn't make them gain weight? Obv I will talk to my doctor about all this but just curious on your opinions since doctors sometimes are quick to write 'scripts without taking patients concerns seriously.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure you'll find experiences shared here, littlechris.

I consider my anti-depressants saved my life in the 1990s - I don't recall putting weight on then - it was the drinking that came afterwards that did that.

My advice is find a Dr who's not quick to write scripts without taking patients concerns seriously, and discuss it with them

D
Old 09-05-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Anti depressants affect each person a bit differently. I have gained weight with some and lost weight with others. I would suggest talking with your doctor and discussing your concerns with him/her. There are a multitude of anti depressant medications out there and I am sure there is one that might work for you without a weight gain side effect.

For many depression seems to lift after a period of sobriety but for me it stuck around. Depression has been a factor in my life long before I started drinking. I have to treat the two problems differently for me to maintain a successful recovery. I utilize a recovery program to treat my alcoholism and my mental health providers for my mental health illness.

I wish you the success with both your depression and your sobriety.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

My depression was evident for years before I began to drink, so I needed to get it treated before I could stop drinking. I have been on anti-depressants for many years. I have no side effects at all, no weight gain at all. It took 3 tries to get a medication that worked well for me, but none of them caused me to gain weight. Please talk to your dr about your concerns.

The antidepressants level the playing field for me. I still have days when I'm down, but now I know it's just an off day. There are times when I wish I didn't have to take pills on a daily basis, but I never want to go back to the dark side again.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If anyone wants non-medical ideas on how to positively impact depression, pm me.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Now that I'm sober my antiDs work as they should to relieve my depression. I'll probably be on them for the rest of my life and that's ok by me.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I went on anti-depressants after quitting and didn't notice any weight gain. I didn't lose all of the weight I thought I might, but I think it might have had something to do with all of the cookies and ice cream I was eating.

And when I started exercising that weight turned into muscle, mostly. Anyway don't base your decision on what you see in your friends. Ask your doctor, check it out for yourself. And if you find that they're not helping or that the weight gain is unbearable, you can always stop taking them.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Anti-depressants does make you gain weight. It depend on the person but some people hunger becomes more greater the others. That's only reason why some people gain weight when taking anti-depressants pills. Don't worry too much of the side effect because most is just dry mouth and drizzy and those stuff will go away in time. If it make you less depress then thats why it's use for. Go to your doctor and talk about it. There is no shame for taking them.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
where the light is

Talk to your doctor as most of the stuff I read on the internet about anti-depressant side effects is B.S. I didn't gain weight. In fact, once the depression/anxiety lifted I was way more inclined to hit the gym and ride my bike. And I have not had a single anxiety attack in the 2+ years I've taken them!
Old 09-05-2011, 08:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For me gettin sober ruined a perfectly good case of depression.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ETA

My doc says some data is misleading - ie. x% of people taking prozac gain 5 pounds over 5 years but it's hard to tell if they would of gained that weight anyway.

I take wellbutrin and it's side effects are usually weight loss and increased libido. Over the years I have gained back the weight that I lost plus some.

Talk to a doctor - they can give you the straight story. You may have to try a few before you find the right one for you.

good luck!
Old 09-05-2011, 09:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks all! I'll def check with my doctor. I'm very self conscious on my body and even throughout my drinking I ate super healthy and exercised a lot in order to combat the alcoholic calories so I never gained more than 5 lbs give or take during the years (thats not to say I hope to lose some weight and get a more toned body with recovery). Since I am new to recovery I haven't seen much weight loss yet (maybe 4 lbs in the last 2 months), but really hoping to lose more and DEF not gain any. I do think I need some form of aid because in the 5 1/2 months sober I still was pretty miserable and on many days did not see the "greatness" of sobriety...pretty sure thats due to my underlying depression. I have yet to tell my doctor on my drinking in the first place, let alone quitting, so I'll be sure to give all that history and see what my options are. Thanks for all the support!
Old 09-05-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Still taking wellbutrin and while I haven't increased weight I have increased appetite. I've kicked cymbalta now for the 2nd time this year and while I feel better physically I have had a lot of irratibility. Cymbalta was supposed to increase my appetite and weight gain but I didn't gain much.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by LittleChris
Anyways, I was thinking about why I relapsed and while there were many factors setting me up for it...I know depression was def in the mix. Lately I have been debating whether or not to get on an anti-depressant so I can better work my recovery.
Telling your Dr. about this is the wisest thing to do.

I say, understand fully all your options for recovery. Know that you can change your recovery regimen at any time. Do treat any and all illness at the same time. And for me, a single integrated treatment approach was best.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

What really helped me was finding a Psychologist who specialized in cognititive behavioral therapy. There is lots of solid data on the effectiveness of CBT for treating depression as a first line of treatment. For someone like me who experiences many side effects from medications it was very beneficial (since no meds are involved) if meds are still needed then What helped me was finding a Psychatrist who specialized in addiction treatment and who knows all the ins and outs of treating alcholism and other addiction related issues.