Notices

Time to Start Over!

Old 09-05-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time to Start Over!

I was 16 days sober but slipped up last week.
I try not to beat myself up over it, but it's hard. I know it's not easy, especially in the beginning, but it seems like it should be. I have great will power over many other areas of my life, but somehow this one remains the hardest for me to stay on track and stick with my determination.
Cheers to making September a sober month!
Old 09-05-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're probably not addicted to those many other things, that's why it isn't easy when it seems like it should be. Simple, not easy--why we have SR. Determination is a bedrock on which to build with other support. May you find what you need to keep on keeping on. Thanks for your honest post. My best to you.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi stravos -

Don't be too hard on yourself. Look at it this way: You now have more evidence that alcoholism is cunning, baffling and powerful.....You made it 16 days, and you're here posting - so give yourself a pat on the back for that!

One day at a time.... you can do it.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

'Sober September' That has a nice ring to it!
Old 09-05-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Hi stravos -

Don't be too hard on yourself. Look at it this way: You now have more evidence that alcoholism is cunning, baffling and powerful.....You made it 16 days, and you're here posting - so give yourself a pat on the back for that!

One day at a time.... you can do it.
I know it's just that I good feeling about this time. Not like all the other times I've tried to quit - before it always felt like I was just trying to prove others wrong by "managing" to stay sober.
Maybe I'm still trying to do that to a certain extent, but more so for myself than before.
I know I shouldn't beat myself up about it but I can't help feeling like I let myself and others down.
I guess all I can do now is start over and try again.
But the two weeks has always been my breaking point. I wish I could get that thought out of my head, but I'm stuck on that number. Maybe if I can push past and do three weeks, even four than I won't feel like I'm just destined to fall off again.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Seems like it's pretty common to have weak spots at certain times in recovery. I relapsed twice after almost 4 years sober each time. That tells me I'm going to need to be proactive when I get close to that point again.

You'll figure it out - maybe you could plan something special around that time, spend a little more time here, get some motivational quotes to carry with you, read all your previous posts during that time........ whatever you think might work to carry you through.

I'm glad you're doing this for you..... It took a little while, but I feel good about myself again and you will too.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Stavros

I used to wonder what the hell was wrong with me too - I was a stubborn, driven, strong minded guy...but I couldn't stop drinking.

Eventually I found it wasn't actually willpower I needed at all - it was acceptance.

I had to accept I was addicted to alcohol and always would be.

Every time I drink alcohol I cede control of myself.

I had to reach a point of accepting that drinking alcohol can never be a viable option for me, under any circumstances - not if I want to be the man I want to be.

Once I accepted that, I made a promise to do everything in my power not to drink again - no matter how much effort was required.

Still holding strong to that through all the ups and downs of life, nearly 5 years later

D
Old 09-05-2011, 04:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

As CarolD often says: I had to want to be sober more than I wanted to drink. Then I was able to stay sober and happy also.