Notices

Class of September 2011

Old 09-05-2011, 02:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

great to see you here Carol

welcome marria, Sax, and Biza

Biza - I think insomnia is pretty common - but see your Dr if you're worried...

here are some useful common sense ideas
Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

D
Old 09-05-2011, 02:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
is really trying!

Hi all, count me in.
Recommitted after a few (several) false starts. Found some new tools for my recovery kit & doing really well at the moment. Thankfully I have learned something each time I've stumbled, but honestly? I think I've learned enough for now :rotfxko

Looking forward to getting to know you all. Wishing all a peaceful day
Old 09-05-2011, 04:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Joining the class of September ... Hi

This is day 1 for me and I am ready. I have 3 kids, 15, 13 and 11 and I want to be fully there for them each day and I'm not right now. And also for my husband. My biggest obstacle will be weekends when friends invite us over. I'm a bit shy and that drink feels like it helps ... even though I know it doesn't. I'll check back and good luck to everyone!
Old 09-05-2011, 06:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Wow! So many new September Members just in a few hours! So great to see!

Welcome Coco, Herincypress, David, Marria, Saxony, Biza, RebelAngel and Solviabe!

Thank you Carol and Thank you BoozeFree for getting the September Class rolling!

Solviabe, your children will see and appreciate their sober mom. The last three months made a big difference in my relationships with my kids. You have a lot to look forward to!

RebelAngel, my toolbox wasn't fully stocked when I returned to work in August after being out for two months. Please feel free to share anything you've learned about relapse triggers and tools for success etc. The more insight we all have, the better off we will be.

I remember the insomnia from back in June when I first quit drinking. It got better for sure. And still, a sleepless night is better than waking up hurting after ten hours of being passed out cold and wondering how you even got yourself to bed. Thinking of that comparrison helped me get through those first few nights.

I am going to work today, but will stay logged on and check in here and there. (one of my new tools )

Congratulations everyone! Be safe and strong and enjoy the day!
Old 09-05-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for your support...not just for but everyone who is struggling with so many failed attempts. I am going to get to bed early tonite and write my story on hopes of getting an understanding of why i keep doing this. Like Maria, I too want to be a nondrinker. I have proven too many times that I wont limit how much I drink. So....hello fellow September folks. Day 2 for me today.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi All,
my first time here but really happy to be in the September club. I stopped (yet again) on August 29th so I'm at Day 9.
Been here many times before: after 5 years sobriety I drank and became the classic relapser. I think because I had those 5 years I kidded myself I could do it again anytime. Not true; I'm now into a one week off/ 2 day binge / one week off cycle that I'm terrified will become the norm for me. I want to stop drinking for good.
I'm so happy to have this forum here to help me.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:46 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Tillies...I have some tendancies you have. I am so disapponted in myself...that is the worst kick in the butt. Lets work through it all. More of story tonight...have to get my thoughts together and go for a long walk first. I want to change my life NOW. We can do it.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks Coco,
I agree with you and for me it's a recurring cycle of the relief and happiness of day one followed by the huge disappointment in myself. It's as if i'm setting up the whole thing.
We CAN do it - all of us - a big step is putting ourselves here.
Hope you'd a great walk!
Old 09-05-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Wow just jumped on here and was not expecting this many posts to catch up on! Super cool!

Welcome back Coco and welcome David, Marria, Saxony, Biza, Rebel, Solviabe, and Tillies!

Solviabe I also agree your kids will def love having their mom around sober!

Tillies- SR is a great site, with lots of great threads to read.

Day 3 today. Woke up around 7 and did some cleaning and just went grocery shopping. The grocery store is def one of my triggers since its somewhere I ran into and went straight for the booze isle. I told myself before I went that I would go straight in and grab the stuff I wanted and leave without even lookin at the alcohol. I ended up getting some veggies and cookies and a variety of drinks like vitamin water, arizona iced tea and some red bulls. Yesterday and today Ive been feeling thirsty all day and still kinda off and on with feeling hot. I have the day off for labor day so I'll be hangin around the house today and probably on here.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Wow am I crabby today. I am usually a very sweet even keel type of person but today my inner monologue is ultra crabby. Havent been short with anyone but have been close to it. I wonder if this is from lack of sleep or just something to expect? Poor everyone around me.

Anyone else feeling like this?
Old 09-05-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I am on the cusp of August and Sept...being 7 days today. Haven't felt this good in years. Hopefully it lasts this time Wishing us all the best yet to come.

L
Old 09-05-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Biza I can totally relate. The few times I've made it more than a couple weeks sober I always experienced a rollercoaster of emotions the first couple weeks. Yesterday I had periods of feeling crabby for no reason and just blasted some music to help settle down.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Terrible isnt it. Tried to watch TV but felt irritated at every little thing so I am here now. I think I will avoid hot button issues for a little bit!! I am a redhead too so I am sure thats not helping............ lol
Old 09-05-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

At the end of Day 1 and feeling good. Being more organised and focused as a Mom is one of the great things about being sober. Today I'm very happy and proud of myself for putting my kids to bed on time. How nice and calm it felt to be doing it for them rather than for the sake of rushing downstairs to have a glass of wine.
It even sounds crazy as I write that but I suppose thats just it, alcohol does make us crazy in a way that other normal drinkers can't understand.
So one day without those urgent thoughts is a great start for me.

Best wishes to all re-joining like me or brand new to this endeavour. Strength in numbers!
Old 09-05-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome September people!

Yes, Marria, you're right alcohol does make us crazy. I became quite obsessed with when, where and what I would next drink, and eventually everything else faded into the background.

The good news is that there is hope for a sober life!
Old 09-05-2011, 04:05 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Anna

Welcome to all the new guys - Rebel, Solviabe, Biza and Tillies

Crabby is very common in the early days yes Biza - I always tried to focus on the good stuff that was happening

D
Old 09-05-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
PBG

This is my first time on one of these sites, but found this & figured it was worth a try. I was a moderate beer drinker (within reasonable limits) who recently realized I had become a daily too much beer drinker. I had tried to stop drinking daily a few times previously the past year pretty much only making it 1 week before the daily habit reared it's ugly head again. Recently, I just simply decided I no longer wanted to drink at all since it's ruining my health, that was ~ 2 weeks ago. It's difficult to do when you live with a beer drinker, so I thought I could find some folks on a similar mission here who would understand my goals.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome PBG!

you'll find a lot of support here, for sure

D
Old 09-05-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

PBG - I hear you! I was exactly that way with but with wine. Over time my "within limits" became "out of bounds" I cant even tell you when that happened. I even tried to convince myself that excessive drinking of wine set me apart from someone who for instance drank vodka or rum or everclear.

Its so interesting the first time I tried someone posted the quote "If you are trying to control the alcohol it is already controlling you." This makes so much sense to me now.

Marria - Hey! Congratulations on you accomplishment. It does make a difference doesnt it? I am happy you have enjoyed your evening with your kids.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:14 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

On to my second day and plenty of reason to drink as I have a teenager who won't take 'No' for an answer when I try to place reasonable limits about meals, homework, clothes, friends etc.
Oh my God how good a glass of wine would have felt this evening! But I resisted the temptation and am now guilt-free and calm after our stormy conversation earlier.

It actually reminds me how often alcohol won't take 'No' for an answer from me either. It keeps pushing and pushing... arguing, coaxing, charming, nagging until I finally say 'Ok Ok go on then, just the one, just this time...' Alcohol, like a fiesty teenager full of energy and determination wearing me down if I fail to notice the skill and persistence of its strategy.
I think its always going to be a daily battle for me, but perhaps in time its hold on me will lessen, as long as I still remember and respect what a powerful opponent it will always remain.

My best to everyone. Soon I'll have more time to respond to your posts too rather than simply write about me, me, me!!