Notices

Hi and Help!

Old 09-04-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi and Help!

I was drinking heavily about 2 years ago, easily 3-4 ltr bottles of vodka a week. If not more. Over the last year I have cut back alot, I'm down to a just drink on Friday and Saturday nights, however that almost always leads to excessive drinking probably a 75cl bottle, or 3-4 bottles of wine.

So I'm kinda living in this permanent torture, I struggle to sleep at the beginning of the week, though I don't seem to get the shakes or night sweats so much, through out the week I start feeling better. Then the weekend comes and it starts all over again.

I'm also finding that I can't walk more than ten minutes during the day / or do the most minor prolonged physical exercise without getting ridiculiously sweaty, i've managed to hide it for the last year or so but I have just started a new job and it's making life really difficult.

I am trying to stop drinking all together but my brothers wedding this weekend put and end to that so I'll try again next weekend.

If I stop for long enough will my body return to normal? Will I be able to run without looking like I'm actually in a shower...

Has anyone else experience excessive sweating during the day?

Any help advice would be much appreciated.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

somebody will be along who can answer your questions soon. it's a holiday weekend in the US, not much traffic. If you can stay stopped for longer periiods, as you know you will be feeling more physically fit. We cannot offer medical advice, but you really SHOULD check your blood pressure, it sounds high to me. you don't mention your age or if you smoke which can also affect you. you need to visit your doctor and tell him exactly what you do.

if you feel you have to drink at this wedding, try to get back on track and stay that way through next weekend? and drink as little as possible. you do not sound like you are enjoying drinking either?

welcome to SR.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Absolutely, things can get better...... I used to get red in the face and start sweating at different times throughout the day in addition to night sweats. All that went away when I stopped drinking.

If you're drinking a lot on weekends, you're going through withdrawals for 3-4 days afterwards, which means you're just starting to feel good by the time you drink again. I think you hit the nail on the head when you called it "torture."

You'll find lots of support here, so keep reading/posting. We know what it's like.....
Old 09-04-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Fandy, yeah I know I should. I'm only just about facing upto it myself properly. Doctors is the next thing to do I guess. I do and don't enjoy drinking it started out as stress relief, now the stress I have is because I drink to much.

Artsoul, thanks it's a weight off to know that I'm not the only one. I'm going to try and get through next weekend and hopefully finally get a few weeks under my belt.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi alex

Welcome

I lived like your doing for a good many years - punish your body unmercifully for the weekend, recuperate for 3 days or so, then start all over again...

Looking back I really don't know how I did that for so long. Do see your Dr - you're not doing your health any favours.

I really hope you decide to quit for good - and soon. You will see health benefits, as well as many other emotional and mental benefits too.

D
Old 09-04-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been sober for several years, and I can remember my efforts to cut down, and how sick I felt and the guilt I felt at not being able to keep sober and straight. My efforts to stay straight and sober were scary for me and embarrassing, so many people were hoping I could do it too. I had to reach out and ask others for their help. Phone calls, meetings, letting go and seeking love and support from those who really knew what I was going through. I realized it was a "we" program after all, and the rewards have been unbelivable for me and those who love me! Blessings and success to you, your honesty is great! GW
Old 09-04-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Alex. Glad you found us! I hope you'll continue to check in.

I also had similar symptoms. I'd break out in a cold sweat periodically when I had a drinking pattern like yours. I tried to be very careful of my intake, but ended up drinking every day anyway. I'm sure you've heard the phrase, 'alcoholism is a progressive disease'. Please be careful, and do let us know how you're doing.

Welcome Greatwoman! Wonderful to have you here.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you recognize it's time for a change. I had similar symptoms to what you're describing too, and it's good that you plan to see the dr.

We are here to offer support, so keep reading and posting.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to you too Greatwoman

D