Notices

Walked through a bar last night

Old 09-03-2011, 05:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Walked through a bar last night

It was my first time (I have been sober for a year).

We were at a restaurant (on vacation) and the main bathrooms were by the tiki bar. I had my baby with me and had to change her so I had to walk through the tiki bar ("you have a baby! in a bar!" from that movie... lol).

It was PACKED and lots of people drinking summer cocktails. Lots of people looked like I used to. Flushed face, that belly that won't go away no matter how little you eat. Laughing too loud. Leering at people.

Some people looked like they were having a great time. Normal drinkers.

For a flash I missed it. As always I missed not the experience but the anticipation of the experience. And then I changed my baby and walked back to my table. Iced tea. 2 more kids waiting for me there. Clear headed. Watching the boats
Old 09-03-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's amazing that you were able to put that life behind you.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you. Since we aren't "normal" drinkers walking on by is our best exercise and it builds up strong sobriety muscles.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yea sometimes the feelings do rush in, I still stay away from that sort of stuff but I do run into it from time to time, just like Fitz says, that’s good exercise, good for you!

But I guess you could overdo it so I am going to not do that unless I have to, don’t want to pull a sobriety muscle.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Be proud SSIL75! I know I have to wait a looooong time before I do that exercise.... Hard enough meeting the loads of beer right inside the door at my local food store every day. Not to mention the wine tests in the newspapers every bl*** friday.

zappa
Old 09-03-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Awesome job, you ought to feel great.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Good for you, SSIL. There's an AA book called Living Sober that says a recovering alcoholic can be in a bar as long as he/she has a good reason for being there. I can't think of a better reason (and I tried!) than going to change a dirty diaper LOL.

The comment about sobriety muscles made me think of something I heard in a meeting: "While I'm in here, my disease is out in the parking lot doing push-ups!" Well, maybe so, but my sobriety is in here with me, doing push-ups too, getting stronger, ready to fight for what's right.

My sobriety date is Nov. 27, 1988.