Notices

Long distance sponsoring

Old 09-02-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Long distance sponsoring

Hello,

I have been in AA on and off for several years but never actually worked the program. I grew up in Florida and I took AA rooms for granted. they were a dime in a dozen. Now, that I am taking my sobriety SERIOUSLY, I live in Morocco and face to face meetings are almost nonexistent. I found an AA meeting in english but 100km from where I am with very few members(3). it helps me when I can go there which is once in a blue moon. I am working the steps and I got to step 4, been stuck on step 4 now going almost a month. been sober (this time around) for 1 month and a half, and I KNOW it's only time before I relapse if I don't get a sponsor. my only solution is a sponsor via emails, skype MSN audio. I gotta do what I gotta do. wishing to find and elder or someone with a couple of years under his belt or someone who knows his stuff. hopefully someone who done it all as I did in the past. I am 41, been drinking heavy for 22 years. I want this time to be "IT". I almost started entertaining the tought of getting away with drinking for one day today, and I came on this site ended up chatting and gave that idea up. any help would be appreciated. Live in morocco now where I am originally from. I am on greenwich time zone.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I hope that you can find a sponsor, but the main thing is that you are motivated to stay sober and recover.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hope that someone can be available for you! The forward to the latest edition does mention modem to modem. . .
Old 09-02-2011, 04:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

NIC...someone mentioned on another post that the AA online chat has info on virtual sponsors; there was even a suggestion of where to go. It was in this section yesterday, I think, or Wednesday. I wish I remembered. As I route through this weekend I'll look for it and post it for you. There is also a chat meeting tonight at 9 pm on SR. I haven't attended one here yet, but may tonight. Someone there might be able to help. Sorry I don't have anything else.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks a lot guys, yes I will attend the 9PM meeting, but it's my first online meeting ever. I may not share this time til I get the hung of it, I mean how much time u are allowed, with the typing and all, plus how u get to ask to share, anyway tonight I will just listen or should I say read. I did not read the latest edition of the Big Book as far as the modem to modem mentioned above. I am here to stay guys this time. you will see a lot of me..
Old 09-02-2011, 06:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Lamplighters Group of Alcoholics Anonymous

If you contact them, they should be able to assist you with this.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

There are people in that chatroom 24/7. Some of whom have offered sponsorship online. How you're doing the first three without a sponsor is interesting as those "steps," as written, are just an overview. Read the first 164 pages of the big book. Listen to big book studies online (joe & Charlie, bob s., others), but get a sponsor to work the steps. When I sponsor my self, I get drunk! Best wishes!
Old 09-02-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Hi NIC...Sorry, I didn't make the 9 pm after all. My wife wanted to watch a movie together, and I'm not far enough out of the dog house to refuse such a request. Hope it went well for you!
Old 09-02-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

AA speakers are also online. Do a search! See Roman Numeral page XX or so...
Old 09-03-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I made the 9PM meeting last night. I even shared. I read the big book(the whole thing). but I miss Face to face meetings, can't believe I took them for granted when I was in the US. I might make a FtF meeting this monday, I would have to travel to another city though. can not shake the desire to drink, I don't know where it came from. I hope I don't drink tomorrow. I really do
Old 09-03-2011, 08:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Try aa online chatroom
People are in there and working the steps. Don't do the steps without guidance.