Notices

Time for a change

Old 08-31-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ShanChuy

Time for a change

Hey there,

I am a newcomer. I would love to hear some words of encouragement. I woke up yesterday morning feeling scared, sick, frustrated and worthless and that is when I decided it was time for a change.

I am only on day two without drinking and its early in the morning. So far I feel fine but I am so afraid of the withdrawel symptoms. I did go seek medical attention last night and they gave me some medication and sent me home to detox alone.

I dont know what to think, say or do right now. The only think I know not to do is drink. Drinking has destroyed my life, not so much in ways that it has destroyed other. I have not suffered some great loss from drinking and Ive never gotten a DUI (I wouldnt ever drink and drive). But I know that certain things around me have been permanently damaged and I have to face that.

Anyone have any advise for me on how to get through these next few weeks that I know are gonna be a couple of the hardest few weeks of my life?

Thanks so much!

Shannon
Old 08-31-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello! One thing that helped for me in the first few days sober was sitting in a steam room or sauna. this helps the alcohol and other toxins get out of your body. I did it everyday for about a month. This helps you physically heal from the damage you have done and can help you tackle the mental problems associated with drinking. be sure physically you are healthy enough though. Good luck you will have a roller coaster of emotions but i promise it will get better.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ShanChuy

Thanks Shawneeboy!!! Ill take that into consideration. I dont have access to a steam room or a sauna so hopefully a hot shower will do the trick.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please take the time to read this link....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Yes you can win over alcohol.....many of us are doing that very thing and we are here to support your efforts.

Glad to see you back.....;yup:
Old 08-31-2011, 08:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back to SR.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Congratulations on your newfound sobriety. Best decision ever.

Don't be too scared of withdrawal. It may or may not be severe. It wasn't severe for me. The main thing I noticed was clearer thinking and better overall health. Both those continue to this day, and I've been sober over 22 years.

Because you didn't lose your health or possessions, you're what some call a "high-bottom drunk." If you want to become low-bottom, go back drinking.

Get through the next few weeks - and the rest of your life, however long that is - one day at a time, or one hour, or one minute, whatever. A camel can go 24 hours without a drink, so can you. I can do anything for a day that I could not do for a lifetime.

The hardest part is behind you - you've quit drinking. Not you're trying to quit, you've quit. Past tense. Already done.

Hang in there. Don't drink, no matter what.

Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome shanchuy - Congratulations for deciding to get sober! It's good that you went to the doctor and are reaching out for support. That's a great start.....

I was really scared, too, when I first got sober. The first few days seemed to drag on forever. I spent a lot of time reading here and just trying to make it through the day. It gets better - it really does.

I also took Vitamin B Complex (alcohol destroys a lot of B vitamins, especially Folic Acid), and ate really well. Snacking can keep your blood sugar from dropping, which often feels like a craving.

It will take some time to adjust, but if we can do it, so can you!
Old 08-31-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

I went to an awesome support group meeting today. I'm not alone. You aren't either.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi shanchuy - The link Carol gave you is very helpful. I just want to say I'm proud of you for wanting a better life, & for reaching out to us. I was so happy when I came here 4 yrs. ago and found out I wasn't alone after all. You can do this. We are with you.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Shannon.

Support was very important for me so whether you're just coming here, or using other support too, really work it - it really does help.

Don't hesitate to see a Dr if you feel concerned about withdrawal or your health in general

D
Old 08-31-2011, 04:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Shannon!

What worked well for me in the early days, was changing my daily routines. I had to be particularly careful of the early evening hours, and so I planned to be busy doing other things at that time.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by shanchuy99 View Post
I have not suffered some great loss from drinking and Ive never gotten a DUI (I wouldnt ever drink and drive). But I know that certain things around me have been permanently damaged and I have to face that.
Hi Shannon! We have all been there before, maybe not in your exact situation, but I know for sure that I have experienced similar emotions to what you are describing.

Sometimes the most damaging things that drinking has done to us happen on the inside, and are far more insidious than DUIs. I am happy to hear that you haven't suffered too many external hurts though.

I'm not good at coming up with practical advice, but I will say that my first few weeks in recovery I read voraciously. I didn't read too much about recovery (although that's probably a good idea) but I read lots of easy to read books, NY times bestseller type books that were sure not to make my head hurt. That helped keep my mind off of alcohol.

Best wishes to you and congrats on day 2!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Many of us can identify with being scared. Not sure what scares you though. Some have already talked about being scared of the withdrawal process; I can identify with being scared about what life will be like on the other side.

That part sure was scary for me, questions about dealing with friends, navigating social situations, dealing with stress, etc. But if you stick it out for even a month you'll see that most is manageable. And beyond that it's not scary at all; it's eye-opening and you'll see life through a new lens.

As far as advice, the one day at a time approach really worked for me. Actually it was more like one hour at a time sometimes, but the point is to break it up into smaller increments and not look at the huge picture of quitting forever just yet.

Good luck and keep coming back here. This site helped me a lot and I hope it can help you too.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Shannon!

I didn't have severe withdrawal symptoms-- just some nausea, headaches, trouble sleeping...things like that. I think it just depends on the individual. I'm with Anna as far as the early evening problems being a problem for me. I thought I could just take alcohol out of the equation and then found myself going stir crazy. It took me awhile (despite tons of advice from these fine folks) to realize that I had to change my whole routine. I kept myself busy from late afternoon/ early evening which was the most dangerous time for me.
You can do this!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
ShanChuy

Thank you everyone for your wonderful kind words. Im still remainging strong. I am on day 3 and I feel pretty strong. The medication the doctors gave me have me pretty relaxed. Im certainly hell bent on never drinking again. Im gonna take the one day/hour/minute at a time approach. I really appreciate all the support and I will be leaning on everyone for a while which I hope is okay with everyone. I feel the love here.

Shannnon
Old 09-01-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome back!
Old 09-01-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

try an internet search:
aa
then put in:
sacramento, ca
You'll find AA meetings. Go, you won't be alone and you'll be with people who've been where you are! You don't have to join AA, just have a desire not to drink....
Old 09-01-2011, 12:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shanchuy99 View Post
Thank you everyone for your wonderful kind words. Im still remainging strong. I am on day 3 and I feel pretty strong. The medication the doctors gave me have me pretty relaxed. Im certainly hell bent on never drinking again. Im gonna take the one day/hour/minute at a time approach. I really appreciate all the support and I will be leaning on everyone for a while which I hope is okay with everyone. I feel the love here.

Shannnon
Congrats on day 3.

For many of us, being strong and h3ll bent on not drinking again was not enough. In fact, i found i had to admit the exact opposite -- i was not strong enough to do it on my own. I needed the support of other alcoholics who had found a way to get and stay sober -- and be happy. Today, i am one of them, and i wouldn't have my any other way.

The early days and weeks are the hardest. I hope that you will find what you need to stay sober!
Old 09-01-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
ShanChuy

Your so right GettingStronger.... Ive never been so weak in my life. I do plan on going to a meeting and get some very needed support. Thanks again for your support. Ill be keeping everyone posted.