Notices

unable to eat

Old 08-30-2011, 08:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

unable to eat

why is it that eating is so hard for me
like nourishing my body with something healthy seems so wrong?
I am 8 days sober and i am unable to eat
I have lost 14 pounds and I can not afford to lose weight

when i want to drink all i think about is how long i can go with out food
it is like i get a high from this
is this normal?

my husband questioned me on what I ate for dinner today
he knows I have been struggling
I lied to him so he would not know that i am not eating

first i lied about drinking and now i lie about eating... what next?
Old 08-30-2011, 08:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found it very hard to be nice to myself too - even basic things like grooming and eating were hard for me to do in the first week or so.

I used to not eat as well as some kind of perverse control deal when I was a drinker. It's not healthy.

I'm glad I forced myself to attend to the basics. Ultimately it did make me feel better.

If you find this is an ongoing thing lost4now, I really recommend you see a Dr...there might be a physical problem, or it may be an emotional one?

D
Old 08-30-2011, 09:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Please try to eat, L4N.

You have been through so much, and are going through so much now, you really need to have every bit of physical strength you can. And hunger makes cravings 100 times worse for me. A full belly is the fastest path to a more peaceful mind.

I remember times when my self-esteem got so low, I drank not so much to escape as to punish myself. Is there any chance that you're trying to hurt yourself now? Either way, haven't you suffered enough?

Please take care of yourself. It will get better. It really will.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do you have a history of an eating disorder? Anorexia is what they call a reversion addiction -- avoidance of food. I am a recovering anorexic, and when i first got sober, i struggled with that coming back. As i recovered from alcohol, i recovered from the anorexia.

or if you haven't had a history of it, perhaps you are swapping addictions. You may want to see a therapist about it.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I'm sorry you are going through this. I wish I could help, but I definitely do not have a problem eating, so I don't think I have any advice for you.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Do you have a favourite dinner of all time that you could plan, focus on all day, and get your mind into thinking you cant wait for dinner time? Just a thought. I am treating myself to all the foods I loved before, and that helps during the day to plan what I am going to cook in the evening. Takes my mind off other things!
Old 08-30-2011, 10:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes eating is very important, it is going to affect how you feel and getting sober. If you can't stomach a meal as such why not try smoothies and vergetable juices.
All the best hang in there
CaiHong
Old 08-31-2011, 03:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Lost4now,

Brings back memories of my first week......all I could tolerate were fluids, tons of them. I had that after-binge bloating and my stomach was a mess. If I ate anything I just felt worse, so I made sure I stayed hydrated and took vitamins.

Second week.....I was ravenous, I ate everything in sight, I even consumed 2 entire chocolate cakes, and I am not a sugar eater...but I craved chocolate for some reason.
(sugar replacement, I guess) That second week my body seemed to be telling me that I needed as much nourishment as possible. After that I stablized and began eating normally. The poisons in your system need to be replaced with good nutrition.

When I was drinking I would go as long as I possibly could without eating because I knew eating anything would interfere with my "High." That makes drinking even more dangerous because you are robbing your body of vital nutrients. Don't know if it is true but I have been told that withdrawal is much worse when the body has been denied these nutrients for extended periods of time.

Congrats on 8 days, hang in there and as someone mentioned above......be good to yourself.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oops, did not mean to do that, "submit reply" was not working, sorry !
Old 08-31-2011, 06:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not uncommon for people to substitute one addiction for another. It's not really about the alcohol, but rather about the underlying issues.

I hope you talk to your dr and that you get the help you need.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Don't get to Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired (HALT)...it will help keep you balanced. For me when when it was hard to eat...I found out it was due to depression...maybe that is you to?
Old 08-31-2011, 10:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Lost ... One of the things that put me on the fast track to liver failure (besides the volume of alcohol I drank) was that I wasn't eating. At all. For months; six months. Apart from the booze and a cracker here and there, I ate nothing. I was also severely dehydrated. I'm not sure if this occurred because of being depressed over my husband leaving, or if it was some sort of subconscious control thing because of his leaving (similar to yourself - alcohol 'left' - or moreso you felt 'forced to abandon it and deal with it' - same type of issue as my husband leaving in a way), or if it was actually a symptom of my alcohol dependence and/or liver situation.

Doesn't matter. Damage happens when you don't nourish a body and its blood and organs over a long period of time. Your body is very fragile and vulnerable right now. It's open to all sorts of things. It is "healing" and without proper nutrition it won't heal properly. When I was admitted to the hospital and told them I hadn't eaten for months (except for a cracker here and there), and that I now "couldn't" eat - I physically "couldn't" (for whatever reason), they made it VERY clear that I MUST eat or my body wouldn't heal properly. Period. They checked me for cirrhosis and cancer - thank goodness I didn't have either. With proper eating I would help my body to not develop these things, and more. If I continued to starve myself, who knows....

Lost, you MUST eat. Your body is coming off of years of toxic abuse - who knows what it's dealing with inside right now. Cells take a long time to renew and recover ... millions and millions of them ... one by one by one ... Each cell NEEDS good nutrition to divide and grow properly.

People get very ill (or worse) after quitting drinking for reasons such as this ... You took alcohol away from your body - yes, alcohol was a bad thing, but your body was so used to it that it needed it (thus the withdrawals). You now MUST replace it with good food in order for your body and mind to recover. Don't take away nourishment now.

Lost, I got to the point where I physically couldn't eat, even when I decided I would. It just came right back up. They insisted I eat. I was in tears - I couldn't. I was scared straight enough to want to eat by that time, but my body was too far gone.

I eventually started eating, little by little, at their suggestion .. At first, it was the tinest bite (I mean crumb-like bite) of banana ... And a raisin, or two .... Wait it out, see if I feel/get sick ... and then have another bite. I was actually getting up in the middle of the night, having a sip of water, nibble of banana, raisin, another sip of water, and going back to sleep.

Don't let yourself get to where I was. They told me, and made no bones about it, that I could die.

You can't die. It would not be fair to the memory of your loved ones who lost their lives 15 years ago to dishonour them by not caring about the body and health that you still have. They loved you. Love them by showing them what you can do with your life. .... And it would not be fair to the lives of your family at home. Love them back by being healthy.

Give them some good memories. Give yourself some good memories, and something to be proud of.

You are doing so well .... Get that body healthy, OK? Feed it.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was just gonna open a thread to ask about some easy to swallow foods during these hard times...
Old 08-31-2011, 11:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

I would definitely see a doctor pronto. I couldn't eat either and I had some serious medical issues at the end of my drinking. I would also try to ingest some nutritional drinks like Ensure.

Please don't mess with it. Make an appt.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

There some shared experiences on easy to eat foods here Andre:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

D