Notices

Day 19 - Sleeping Well But..

Old 08-30-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 19 - Sleeping Well But..

Hello Everyone! Today is day 19 for me and overall I'm feeling much better. I have finally been able to sleep through night without waking, but I notice that I sleep so soundly now that I can hardly get out of bed in the morning. Has anyone else had this issue? I know this may sound strange, but I felt better and more energized in the mornings when I was drinking until I passed out every night. This lethargic feeling that I have in the morning is not going to drive me to drink, but I just find it odd that I have been having such a difficult time waking up. Other than that, I feel 100% better than I did while I was drinking everyday. Just wanted to vent. Thanks!!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

You've made 19 days! Awesome! Your body is learning to be normal, give it more time to regulate!!
Old 08-30-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ITA with sugarbear ... It took mine awhile to get rid of that lethargic feeling, whether or not I had a good sleep. Or, it would happen in phases .. some mornings totally rested, some not so much ... eventually (several weeks++) I began to feel more of an "everyday normal" with regard to waking up and feeling awake.

Nice job on the 19 days, btw !!
Old 08-30-2011, 09:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think this is very common. I haven't drank since April 20 and I sleep very soundly now, actually fall asleep when my head hits the pillow and don't wake up until the alarm goes off. I think you are catching up on a lot of REM sleep that is so disrupted while drinking, that and your body is working hard to repair itself and needs a lot of rest. I still sleep great but have noticed that in the last month I haven't felt the exhaustion I felt earlier. It does get better, beats a nasty hangover anyday!
Old 08-30-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with the others FHB - give your body time to readjust and recuperate

If you're like me you drank for years - personally it took my body a lot longer than 19 days to feel 'ok'...& I hope you'll be back in A1 condition sooner than I was

I think you're doing great!

D
Old 08-30-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

WOW - CONGRATS FHB1!!! I remember when you first came on here and I was just before you with my sober date. I feel off and relapsed unfortunately but I am giving it another try...this is day 2 for me. Your 19 days are an inspiration for me!!! On a side not I did notice around days 10, 11, and 12, it was so hard for me to get out of bed and yes I felt way more energized when I had been drinking - its nice to hear you and other experienced that too and ya it is probably just our bodies catching up on real, natural sleep. All the best and congrats again!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

That's great, congratulations!!!

It took several weeks for my sleep to get in line. I'm still a little out of it, but part of that is probably due to the meds I'm on. If you continue having problems you may want to check in with your doctor, although you would want to make sure that they know you are a recovering alcoholic so they don't consider prescribing anything potentially addictive.

Otherwise the usual suggestions apply to oversleeping as well as undersleeping. Wake up the same time every day regardless of how you feel (no sleeping in on weekends) -- this will help get your sleep in line eventually if you can be strict about it.

Best wishes
Old 08-30-2011, 08:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Everyone! I think all of you are right - it's probably just my body normalizing. It feels good to know that others here have had similar experiences. Sometimes I just need to check in with other alcoholics to make sure I'm not going crazy!

Bennybored, thank you for your kind words and I'm glad to hear that you are back on track. I remember when you were a few days ahead of me when I first joined and that you were very supportive to me. Please feel free to pm me if you ever need any help or extra support. Take care and easy does it!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thank you so much FHB1! sleep well tonight and have a good morning