Notices

Unsually Angry

Old 08-30-2011, 02:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unsually Angry

Hi Everyone:

Could this be PAWS - I am 8 months sober and have been in the last week feeling extremely angry, snapping, and having to control myself as I would like to slap someone.

Lots going on in my life. It feels like I am now realising how much damn time I wasted drinking my life away and now I am just so angry. I know I need to be grateful now, but gosh this feeling is really really strong.

Anyone else go through this?
Old 08-30-2011, 03:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ring

I was angry because of wasted opportunities, regrets etc but that was pretty much from the get go for me.

I eventually figured that everything I've been through, good and bad, has bought me to where I am now.

We can't change the past, no matter how much we wish we could.

Keep looking forward I reckon - focus on the good things you've achieved, and are still achieving, in your recovery

D
Old 08-30-2011, 04:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Ring

Sorry you're not having a good time

Wanted to send you a hug x
Old 08-30-2011, 05:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Maybe you should speak with a counselor to determine how to deal with your anger?
Old 08-30-2011, 05:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I also had a lot of angry feelings directed toward myself in the first year of sobriety. There was so much to come to terms with and so much regret. What helped me the most, was journalling. It was very hard for me to get started on that, but once I began, I just kept writing and writing. It was very helpful.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

for me exercise usually helps and a punch ball. Just keep hitting that big puch ball until you are exhausted
Old 08-30-2011, 08:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ring,

I'm about a month behind you and I get those same feelings from time to time. I guess I need to learn that life (not even sober life) is always a bed of roses. There will be tough days but even the tough days are easier to deal with sober. I keep reminding myself I spent 20 years destroying my mind and body with booze so I need to give myself time to heal, and for me 7 months is not quite there yet, but I get closer everyday!
Old 08-30-2011, 10:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was feeling that way yesterday. Realized I was mad and sad. Raised my 3 kids basically drunk or hung over for their entire lives. I mean how selfish is that?!
I catch myself wondering how the kids would have "turned out" if I had been a more engaged parent. Then I stop myself and focus on today with them.
(I'm at 9 months sober.)
Old 08-30-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Anger = fear + anxiety. Alcohol was only a symptom. Take away the alcohol and it's replaced, which is why we must learn appropriate coping skills!
It's a feeling. Feelings change! Embrace it and let it go. It's fleeting.

Be proud of your 8 months!!!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I think the suggestions are great, perhaps a bit of boxing. It is true realising how much time you wasted drinking. It hits you like a train. Kelly Europe called me a dry drunk, I don't think that is true because I don't have any desire to drink I think that perhaps it is life and reflecting on how stupid I was to waste my 30's on being numb. One of my staff died last week, perhaps I am greiving and this is the angry stage he was so young. Kind of thinking of mortality and how important it is to look after yourself. I suppose I can not go back and change anything just move forward each day with great strides and get this energy out in a positive way.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi ring - add me to the list of those who went through this too. It turned out to be just a phase, but I was stuck on regret & remorse for a few months. I realized it was self destructive, & keeping me from moving on.

I wanted to be a whole new person, yet I was wandering morbidly around in the past. I had to ditch that way of thinking, and I was able to. Just talking about it takes the sting out of the negative feelings, I found. Keep going - you're doing great.