Notices

Need help... Please take the time to read, thanks!

Old 08-29-2011, 04:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help... Please take the time to read, thanks!

Hey everyone, im new to this site so im just going to start off with a little about me. Im 22 years old, born and raised in Vancouver, BC. Very corrupt city if you ask me, which is also partly why i started drinking and doing drugs at such a young age, 13.

Anyways ive been drinking ever since, 5, 6, 7, days a week since 13 until about beginning this year, i decided that its takin its toll on me, i now only drink casually once or twice a week, with the occasional birthday parties where i go all out till noon the next day.

Ive noticed that ever since i stopped i slowed down on drinking, ive been feeling depressed? Im not even sure if its depression, its just some days when im sober i just feel down. Im a very socially active guy, life of the party, but ever since then id have days where im drinking with everyone and im down, and some nights ill be the life of the party again? Like i have 2 personalities? :rotfxko i dont get it lol.
Has anyone here ever experienced anything like this?
Is it depression?
Will it go away over time?
Say I quit completely, for months, and im extremely happy. If i had a beer on a special occasion, would all this depression come back?

Please answer as many questions as you can, and thanks for reading much appreciated
Old 08-29-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

I was born and raised in Vancouver and though I haven't lived there for a long time, I think it's the most beautiful and amazing city ever!

If the depression is a result of the drinking, and alcohol is a depressant, then you will likely feel better as you begin to recover. It might take a couple of months, but there should be an improvement. If the depression was there before the drinking, then you might need to talk to your dr about it, and possibly get some advice from him.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi JohnDo

Welcome

I think depression is common for most of us if we've drunk for years. Alcohol is after all a depressant.

I'm no dr, but I know from my experience even one or two a week might be enough to keep that depressive cycle going.

If you're worried about it, or if you think it's impacting your life in a negative way, I'd think about seeing a Dr.

D
Old 08-29-2011, 04:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would start to do some reading or listening. on the effects of alcohol. This is your wake up call, be grateful you have it so young. Time to explore what makes you tick.

All the best
CaiHong
Old 08-29-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Hello and welcome to SR!

It took more than getting sober to help my depression, and I'm certain if I were the type of person that could moderate my drinking I would be having even more problems overcoming depression.

I work on my mental health by going to therapy, seeing a psychiatrist once a month to figure out my meds and working the 12 steps. This has helped me out a lot. If I were only not drinking I would not be where I currently am emotionally.

Best wishes
Old 08-29-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

First of all it helps to understand that alcohol is a depressant. In the beginning it lifts us up, we feel great, powerful and quite happy. However this is a progressive disease; with time we all end in utter pain. The days of alcohol being a stimulant are only in the past.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

"Say I quit completely, for months, and im extremely happy. If i had a beer on a special occasion, would all this depression come back?"

Yes, it would. Not because of the beer. If you really want to stop drinking for good, complete abstinence forever, one day at a time, is the only way. A beer after months of sobriety would taste like failure and lead to depression.

However, you didn't say you want to stop for good. I may be out of line here.