Notices

Binge Drinking Leading Down A Dark Path

Old 08-29-2011, 06:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binge Drinking Leading Down A Dark Path

Hi Guys,

New here, trying to kick my binge drinking habbit's as they are leading me down a familiar dark path, so i think right now enough is enough.

My story goes as follows. First time I ever actually got drunk was around the age of 14 or 15, probably smoked my first joint around that time as well. Well anyways that really wasn't a big deal as I could control it being onlt 14 or 15 and not having constant access to alcohol. As time progressed tho drugs were easier to come about and my pot smoking gradually escalated to some cocaine use and heavy ecstasy use (Sometimes 6-7 pills at a time). Anyways, after an arrest at 19 I decided enough was enough and I had to quit all the crap. Well apparently my E abuse had gotten the best of me because the mental withdrawl was horrible. I couldn't socially function, I just wanted to lay around in agony, so I started relying on alcohol to help me function socially on the weekends.

Please not I am now 26. Anyways, I have touched a hard drug since 19, mind you I would take the occasional toke. Anyways a recent vacation found me with an old pal and the oppurtunity to indulge in some cocaine and E while on a bender. Needless to say I did. I know this is all part of my binge drinking and not having any self control when I drink. I say I am just a bing drinker because I can go all week without a drink but once I have my first one Friday I'm usually plastered until Sunday night. I don't ever have severe physicall withdrawls (besides some shakes when I overdue it.) I have more mental and social cravings if that makes sense. Anyways, I am definetely thinking that if my weekend binges are leading me back to taking drugs that I have been off for years, it probably wouldn't hurt to just say screw it.

Plus, my drinking has caused me some health issues and I would really like to live a healthy life, lose weight and mend bad relationships.

That's my story guys.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like you may be ready. I wish you the best of luck. You CAN do it if you really want to. After all I did after 43 years of drinking. I'm sure that you will find good advice on how to proceed from the members of this forum. My best advice is to dwell on why you want to quit every morning. Think about going down that dark road again, what it will cost, and how much pain you will endure.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

While I don't have a background wit coke or E, I do have a horrible drinking past. I'm still in my baby stages of recovery with a little over 4 months sober.

Four months ago I too knew it was time to quit. I actually knew it four years prior, but finally did it four months ago. Call it an epiphany if you will. I'm a little older than you at the the age of 30, but knew I had to finally grow up and start to take care of myself. If I didn't, I might have been dead in less than a year. I was a 1 1/2 1,5 liter of vodka a night drinker.

One of the things I struggled with after quitting drinking, was being able to be social. I felt I wasn't as fun to be around sober, and ill be honest I wasn't at first. Heck, I was detoxing, and then relearning to be sober. But I can tell you after a few months I am back to my old self. The self which I felt I had to be drunk in order for show. If anything, I'm more social now, and since I'm extremely happy with who I am now, it reflects in my social life.

Coming from someone who drank like a fish for 10+ years, I can honestly say living sober is by far superior than living in that black hole I used to call life. You can do it bud! Trust me you wont regret it!

-Ryan
Old 08-29-2011, 06:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

to SR.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RyanRed View Post
While I don't have a background wit coke or E, I do have a horrible drinking past. I'm still in my baby stages of recovery with a little over 4 months sober.

Four months ago I too knew it was time to quit. I actually knew it four years prior, but finally did it four months ago. Call it an epiphany if you will. I'm a little older than you at the the age of 30, but knew I had to finally grow up and start to take care of myself. If I didn't, I might have been dead in less than a year. I was a 1 1/2 1,5 liter of vodka a night drinker.

One of the things I struggled with after quitting drinking, was being able to be social. I felt I wasn't as fun to be around sober, and ill be honest I wasn't at first. Heck, I was detoxing, and then relearning to be sober. But I can tell you after a few months I am back to my old self. The self which I felt I had to be drunk in order for show. If anything, I'm more social now, and since I'm extremely happy with who I am now, it reflects in my social life.

Coming from someone who drank like a fish for 10+ years, I can honestly say living sober is by far superior than living in that black hole I used to call life. You can do it bud! Trust me you wont regret it!

-Ryan
I hear you like I said I binge and recently I have started adding the drugs back into the mix and that was always something I regretted to begin with.

I have a few health issues including high blood pressure so add the effects of coke and E plus countless beers and a fifth of tequila and I'm pretty much staring down the barrel of a loaded gun. Like I said I don't physically detox its more of the mental aspect, I can go days without partying, but once I do forget it I take it to the max, I get mean, I make a fool out of myself, I waste money and I even landed in the tank a few times. That's what really sucks, considering my family has a decent size business not only am I making a fool out of myself, but I also feel like I am smearing everyones name.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NEPA View Post
I say I am just a bing drinker because I can go all week without a drink but once I have my first one Friday I'm usually plastered until Sunday night. I don't ever have severe physicall withdrawls (besides some shakes when I overdue it.) I have more mental and social cravings if that makes sense.

Plus, my drinking has caused me some health issues and I would really like to live a healthy life, lose weight and mend bad relationships.
Thats what i tell myself also as i dont get withdrawal and i can go a week or so with no drink. Its the fact that when we do, we go way overboard!!

You are still young and i think its really good that you have found this site and are speaking honestly about your habits. The fact that you know and realise this is a good thing - i say you are already willing all you have to do now is actually try. You may have to change some of your mates in the interim so as to avoid the temptation.. but you will thank yourself in the long run. They may even thank you too.... All the best nepa, take care of you, and welcome
Old 08-29-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I was 26 when I went to rehab, the first time.

Best wishes if and when you seek medical attention before stopping.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us and that you want to live a sober life.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi NEPA - glad you're here. We all need support to do this and you'll find lots of it here.
I can go all week without a drink but once I have my first one Friday I'm usually plastered until Sunday night.
I'm sure we can all relate.... I usually told myself I was only going to have a "couple" of drinks, but it never seemed to work that way.

Keep posting and reading - it's a great place!
Old 08-29-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As a fellow newbie myself around the same age struggling with a problem, I wish you all the strength in the world.

Welcome.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR NEPA
D
Old 08-29-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi NEPA. I'm glad you joined, and very happy you're looking for answers. Some never see what they're doing to themselves. I almost destroyed myself trying to control my addiction.

It sounds as if you already know what needs to be done. You are very self aware, which is a gift. You have the ability to prevent yourself from actally taking that dark path. I hope you'll continue to talk to us - keep posting & reading how others have dealt with this problem.