Notices

Hello I am the newbe!

Old 08-28-2011, 10:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello I am the newbe!

Hi everyone. I have joined your community from North Cyprus. I am originally from the U.K. I have quit drinking 3 days ago and have started reading different odds and sods on the Internet and scared myself to death with the dangers of COLD TURKEY! I have just quit. After drinking for about 20 years, on and off, the last two or three years I have drunk pretty much every night, normally half a bottle of whisky with coke or a couple of bottles of wine. I can't drink more than this, thankfully, as I just pass out! How ebmbarrassing my life has been, and I do feel strong enough now to quit. I dont feel like I want a drink ever again, and have not been tempted over the weekend. Rather I have been focussing on my behaviour to others recently,and how ridiculous I have become. I have always just drunk in the evenings, never ever fancied a drink in the morning, but know I have a problem. My question on experience is the headaches. Yesterday I could just not shift it. I am a bit better this morning. I do not want to go to a doctor here as the place is too small and everyone knows everyone. As I have got passed the 72 hours, am I now on the safe side of not having a serious heart attack or anything serious? I read that most that go cold turkey and have these problems it normally happens withing the first three days, so should I be ok now? Also I just want to be able to chat with others on here, particularly those that have given up at the same time as me if there are any, for support both ways.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Herincyprus, welcome to SR!

We have a rule here on SR that we can't give medical advice, so I won't do that. Quitting cold turkey IS dangerous, so most people would recommend going to see a doctor, and you will hear that time and time again. If you absolutely won't, then do you have someone there with you that knows you are detoxing?

I had headaches when I quit, but I know they are also a sign of high blood pressure (which can skyrocket when you are withdrawing from alcohol), and you really need to watch for it. Please, be VERY AWARE this can be a sign that you aren't doing so good.

With that over, you see the link for the chat room on the blue bar above your post? Click on that, and you can join the real time chat room. It's great in there, you'll be able to have conversations with newbies and more long time sober peeps. It's been a great help to me, particularly in the first few days.

Good luck, and keep healthy.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting and Welcome.
From personal experience I would certainly recommend that you be evaluated by a Medical Doctor. It is always a good idea especially since you have been drinking for so long over a long period of time. Doctors deal with much more embaressing secrets then someone admitting they have a problem with Alcohol, I assure you that a competent Doctor will not reveal your "Secret"

I also did a quick look up for AA in North Cyprus, I would certainly recommend you to try calling them and going to a meeting, you will meet many people who could relate to what you are going through.

Alcoholics Anonymous - North Cyprus
0533 855 7743 / 0542 886 0514
More About AA

AA MEETINGS IN NORTH CYPRUS

Saturdays
Kyrenia/ Girne
St Andrews Church
1pm - 2:15 pm
Discussion Meeting
Call any of the numbers under contacts for more information

Wednesdays
Karsiyaka
7:30pm - 8:30pm
Discussion Meeting
Call 0533 855 7743 for more Information

Mondays
Alsancak
Black Olive Cafe
8pm - 9 pm
Big Book Meeting
Call 0533 860 4912 for more Information

CONTACT INFORMATION

PHONE NUMBERS

KYRENIA / GIRNE

0533 824 1100
0533 839 5561
0533 855 7743
0533 860 4912
0533 872 1722
0542 886 0514

[email protected]

Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.

Last edited by Dee74; 08-30-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome herincyprus
You'll find a lot of support here

we have an August thread
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...011-pt2-2.html

and a 2 weeks and under thread
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-16-a-3.html

- hope to see you there

D
Old 08-28-2011, 10:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

blood pressure

Hi everyone

Thanks for your comments, I will get my blood pressure checked today I think to be on the safe side. I think I would rather chat to folks on here than join a club locally. Problem is I have a business here and everyone knows me. I think you can get just as much support from the Internet these days, so will give that a go. I am quite a positive person, and also when I put my mind to something (in this instance quitting alcohol) I am normally quite strong, so I hope to be in this instance. I never thought I would do a full weekend, but I wasnt even tempted. Thanks again for your posts.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's called "Alcoholics anonymous" for a reason

While on-line meetings are certainly great and I am happy you are doing that. I would say that you would be surprised who you will find at a in person meeting. There are probably many people locally that you may not realize who are dealing with the same things you are. They are probably at that meeting just as concerned about not "being found out" as you say you are.

Its worth even just calling one of those numbers listed and talking to someone there over the phone, just to give it a chance. You might surprise yourself by what you find.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Seeksobriety, we can't post link without permission.

Regarding 3 days it's safe, don't be foolish. National Institute of Health in USA states that we can have serious problems weeks after cold turkey. A friend of mine died from a seizure 5 days after cold turkey and he didn't drink daily.

Please seek medical advice before stopping abruptly.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello everyone again. Gosh, you are all scaring me now! I went and had my blood pressure taken today and it was normal. I feel fine, was tempted after work as normal habit to go for a drink but was brave, came home and took the dog out on an early walk! What are the % of death on cold turkey? Does anyone know?
Old 08-29-2011, 11:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Go see a doctor.

Asking for medical advice from non-medical persons is like telling a social network your house is on fire and ignoring the fire department.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Herincyprus - glad you're here!

The problem with predicting withdrawals is that everyone's is different and there are so many factors that play into it. Wish we could be more helpful, but it's a positive sign, at least, that you're feeling good. Here's a link to some of the experiences our members have had:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Congratulations for deciding to get sober!
Old 08-29-2011, 08:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Well, today is day five. Slept fine again, have done since stopped drinking, guess I am lucky. Its the Muslim Bayram holidays today, good, another challenge. Bring it on! Dont feel ill or anything, just a bit groggy from too many fags!
Old 08-29-2011, 09:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi, Hereincyprus. Chiming in with a late welcome.

It's terrific that you're checking back in. Congrats on Day 5. Did you sleep well? I had a terrible time sleeping my first couple weeks... But no big deal—small price to pay to escape the cycle of addiction, right? You can do this!
Old 08-29-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi & welcome. I'm new here as well but can already tell you that there's some good advise posted here and I hope you take it.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ooops, you said you slept well right there in the post, didn't you? Seems maybe I need to get some sleep. Anyway, glad you're aboard!
Old 08-29-2011, 11:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hereincyprus,

Good luck and best wishes. I myself am an expat and find it difficult to go to meetings also expat communities are even smaller.

The thing is stopping is really not enough if you want to stay sober.

When I get up in the morning instead of listening to BBC world service I listen to this

On-Demand RecoveryTV Addiction Recovery Resources

I find reading and sharing honestly on this forum is fantastic for me.
CaiHong
Old 08-30-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, such a lot of messages. I will check the link CaiHong. The problem here is I am in business and my cars have my business written all over them. Yes, I know, borrow a car. But to be honest, I have never felt so brave, and feel that I may do better by tackling this my way. I suppose everyone is different. I love this site though, and probably wouldnt be where I am now without it, albeit only a few days. I log on in the morning, check my normal e mails and am straight onto here, then the same in the evening. I dont post much, there are so many sections! Would love to private mail somone though at the same sort of stage if there is anyone. As I said, today is Muslim bayram. I went for a drink after work, ORANGE JUICE. Do you know what, before I went, I really thought , WELL ONE WONT HURT. Then I thought, well if one wont hurt, it wont hurt not to have one. One will always be there tomorrow! If you know what I mean. So I ordered orange juice, most laughed, well maybe they are not freinds anymore anyway. God I am rambling, I am just so pleased with my progress. I have about an hour a day, it can set on at any time, where I feel really anxious, not wanting a drink, just heart racing. But I drink loads of water and settle myself. It works. Anyway, before I send you all to sleep, I will go. But in theory, I have managed my first trip to the bar, and had OJ. And do you know what, that was the best Orange Juice I think I have ever had. Good night to all, best wishes, keep it up. I dont want to be seen sleeping in the front garden again ever again in my life. NEVER EVER EVER!!!!!!! Just before I go, I love the way everyone comes together on here, encouraging. Whatever the stage, this has to be the best site ever. I will continue to read through the stories, it is thanks to those people that I would imagine thousands over the years have given up. Just think how many lives have been saved. I hope I can help in some way in the future. PIZA TIME. No turning the oven down and down for one more drink, its going in the oven and straight in to my belly! Night night all you lovely people.xxxxx
Old 08-30-2011, 08:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

DAY 6. MMMMM, 6.28 A.M. GOOD SLEEP. FEEL BETTER THAN I HAVE DONE FOR A LONG TIME THIS MORNING. MOVING OFFICE TODAY, LOTS TO DO TO KEEP MY MIND ON TRACK. ONE DIFFERENCE I HAVE NOTICED IS THE DREAMING. NOT NIGHTMARES ESPECIALLY, BUT REMEMBERING THE DREAMS. SUPPOSE THAT MAKES SENSE. SKIN FEELS MUCH BETTER, THAT HAS TO BE A GOOD FACTOR IN ALL OF THIS! NOTICED AN OLD DRINK I HAD LEFT IN THE FRIDGE THE OTHER NIGHT THIS MORNING, UGHHHHH. DOWN THE PLUG HOLE WITH YOU MY FRIEND. (WELL, LESS OF THE FRIEND) PROBABLY WILL GO TO THE BAR AGAIN AFTER WORK FOR A NICE oj. DONT SEE WHY MY SOCIAL SCENE SHOULD STOP, IT WAS GREAT LAST NIGHT TO HAVE SPENT A FEW LIRA INSTEAD OF A FEW HUNDRED, WHICH NORMALLY HAPPENS AS YOU END UP BUYING ROUNDS FOR EVERYONE ELSE AS A MATTER OF COURSE. NO MORE! TRYING TO THINK WHAT WOULD BE A NICE TREAT AT THE END OF THE MONTH FROM THE MONEY SAVED! HAVE A GOOD DAY EVERYONE, ALTHOUGH I THINK WE ARE ON COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TIME SCALES HERE!
Old 08-30-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am glad things are going well for you. I would like to suggest something ttat works well for me, is writing down a list of all the reasons why I do not want to drink again. It really helped me having that list around, if I ever had a thought about wanting to drink I would read the list. I kept a copy in my wallet so I could always look at the list to remind me and help me.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Herincyprus, glad you are doing ok!!!! Well done on chucking the drink out too. Why have it sitting there when it can be gone from temptation....

Do your regular drinking friends know what you are doing? It's very helpful to quietly let people know, especially if you are still going into bars. A lot of people would say that you should avoid them when you are in early recovery. I personally didn't, but I always gave myself the choice to leave if it got too much. Make sure you have your escape planned - and STICK TO IT!!!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 09:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

ss.....thats sounds like an excellent plan. I like plans. Will write that list today! Thanks!

NW Yes, most of them do, some didnt realise though how much I was drinking at home, I have told them but they think I am joking! They just thought I was one of the normal crowd that would go out and get drunk and go home and eat, but no, I was always planning in the back of my mind how I would be having more when I got home. That's why I know I have a problem. I would loved to of just had a few, come home, watched telly and had something to eat. But I cant remember that ever happening. I have never tried to cut down before or fool myself that I could be a normal drinker because I know that would never be possible, not now. I have never really wanted to give up before to be honest, only if I was on a weight loss diet. Now I do. Something fell out of the sky and hit me on the head 6 days ago. Dont know what, trying to figure that one out. Perhpas guardian angels do exist, I am not largely religious, but I do believe there is something out there. Just back from a long walk with my dog, despite the heat here, one thing I have noticed is I am not sweating like a pig! LOL. Have a good day everyone.