Notices

Hello I am the newbe!

Old 08-30-2011, 11:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good for you Hereincyprus,

I was thinking that going to the bar may not be a good idea but on the other hand if you can handle it ............ Isolating yourself is not a good idea either.

I hope your friends are supporting you on this and not bringing you down.

Do you think expat communities tend to drink more overall? I have been thinking about my drinking over the past 10 when I came to this country. It was so easy to drink here, no one seemed to care.

All the best,
CaiHong
Old 08-30-2011, 11:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wow, Herincyprus, that was me, too! I used to drink with friends, but when I got home I would ALWAYS have more. Lots more. I could control myself enough when I went out (and in fact, for a long time I would be the designated sober driver for social events), but I'd be itching to get home and get the wine out once I was alone. That way, no one could comment on me having an issue. When I finally told a few friends how much I drank a day (a bottle of white wine each night, sometimes more), they were absolutely amazed. Couldn't believe it.

I also believe in guardian angels. I truly believe that mine saved ME. I nearly choked to death when I vomited in my sleep after 'only' one bottle of wine. I was dreaming that I was dying, and woke up just in time to save myself. I actually had an out of body experience whilst I was choking, and I was looking down on myself, dying in the bed. I have no doubt in my mind that I was seconds from death. Whatever or whoever brought me back from the brink of dying that night, I don't know. I just show my eternal gratitude for a second chance by living every minute left of my life SOBER. In the present, clear, and grateful.

Hence the name New Wings

x
Old 08-31-2011, 12:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm just catching up on you and your progress....well done..

welcome...
Old 08-31-2011, 09:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi all, evening check up, in! CaiHong, 110% expats abroad tend to drink more in my opinion. They move abroad, (not all, but many) with no work, to retire, and most of the time don't seem have anything better to do. It's like a constant holiday. There are so many drunks where I live, its THE thing to do! Thank god I work! Then people have spent all their money on booze and have to go home, I see it time and time again, I am an Estate Agent (no boooos please)!!!

New Wings, ....Your story is facinating. I am so pleased you made it through. I am extremely interested in near death experiences and would love to hear more on your if you want to pm me. I once read a book on children and near death experiences, where at the age of 2 similar things were experienced. How would a child know at that age about walking towards lights and all that sort of stuff. Have you followed the subject up much since this happened to you? I would love to hear more on this.

To all, I hope your days have been good. Mine has, didnt bother with the bar after work, not because I was worried about temptation, just pooped after a hard day at the office moving into another unit. Had the one hour funny spot that I am getting used to now, does anyone else have this? Just feeling a wee bit anxious, heart racing, then it dies down. I am wondering how long this lasts. Anyway, day 6 nearly over, HURRAH. Shepherds pie tonight!

Good luck to everyone! I hope I am writing in the right section checking in each day, please tell me if I am not! Such a large site!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Least, thanks! I am also a dog fan, in fact the death of a recent dog to cancer set me off really bad which brought me to this place I am at now. I have a new boy to look after now, all the more reason to look after myself.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:15 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Checking in Day 7. 8.15 am, walked the dog, feeling ok. Hope everyone else is doing well, I suppose this is one milestone, a full week come the end of play today! Good luck to everyone else today.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:38 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

One full week hurrah.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:44 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations

D
Old 09-01-2011, 10:02 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Congrats!
Old 09-02-2011, 02:44 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi Hereincyprus

Welcome and well done

My dog dying last Aug set me off on a really bad spell of drinking too.

Carry on sharing xx
Old 09-02-2011, 11:42 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

ttp sorry to hear about your dog. I see you have been sober since 10th June, that's great. I have been pretty good this last seven days but VERY tempted tonight. Thankfully I got through and am ok now. I find if I eat, then the desire for a drink goes as I know it will take longer to get drunk after food, how sad is that, but hey, if it works! Did you get another furry friend?> They absoloutely break your heart when they go dont they?
Old 09-02-2011, 12:27 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
~sb

Why don't you buy your group "a round" while you have your oj? You're there, so oj now makes what different? I'm curious because no matter what others have, I still "treat" others to a "round."
Old 09-02-2011, 09:13 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Yes, and I did last night. Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. There are always certain people that would hang around, I am sure lots would be in the same boat., that new I would be out for a good time and hang on for drinks. In fact I settled a bar bill this week for last week I couldnt even remember. I am more than happy to buy my friends drinks, its just all those hangers on that never bought me one back and stuck around for one when I was drunk can now not bother.