SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Antabuse (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/235285-antabuse.html)

choublak 08-28-2011 09:02 PM

Antabuse

Not seeking medical advice. For my own curiosity only.

How does one go about getting this medication? Do you have to go through a rehab program first, or can anybody just go to a doctor and ask for it?

sugarbear1 08-28-2011 09:17 PM

Seek medical advice, ask a doctor. I don't think any of my former dealers carry this. I'd ask, but that wouldn't be sober behavior today. Or check (into) a rehab.

choublak 08-28-2011 09:22 PM

Well I didn't say I wanted it LOL

Dee74 08-28-2011 09:23 PM

Its a prescribed medication so it'd be best obtained through a Dr and with professional medical supervision.

Suggest your loved one see a Dr, Choublak - that way you can both be sure he's getting the best treatment available for him and his own particular circumstances :)

Health's too important to play trial and error with, IMO.
D

choublak 08-28-2011 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 3087208)
Its a prescribed medication so it'd be best obtained through a Dr and with professional medical supervision.

Suggest your loved one see a Dr, Choublak - that way you can both be sure he's getting the best treatment available for him and his own particular circumstances :)

Health's too important to play trial and error with, IMO.
D

I suppose you misunderstood when I said "for my own curiosity only".

I'm not trying to obtain it for myself, my loved one, or anybody else.

Dee74 08-28-2011 09:50 PM

SR's a peer support group - even asking about how one obtains a particular drug is skating on the edge of our medical advice rule.

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Although there is a lot of knowledge here among our members, there are any number of fine reference sites for details on various medications, for the curious souls among us.

I suggest to you any one of them would better to sate your curiosity than SR.

I still hope your loved one will seek medical advice himself. It's the best way to go.
D